X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stubbie
    Experienced
    • Jul 7 2011

Pitman Arm

A couple of months ago I removed and reconditioned my power steering box. After a struggle today I finally refitted it but the pitman arm does not want to go on straight. At the time of removal I left the arm connected to the tie rod ends and drag link and just pushed the pitman arm out of the way. Should I have totally removed the pitman arm or should it go back the way it came off?

Thanks Phil
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Your pitman arm is splined on the steering box end, which guarantees it will go back on straight (but it could be turned if the marks are not aligned). The other end is a ball that swivels.

Here are the illustrations:

...and for Squarebirds:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by simplyconnected; November 23, 2011, 10:46 PM.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• redstangbob
      Experienced
      • Feb 18 2011

Phil you didn't mention what year your car is but since you posted it here I'll assume it's a flairbird. Check the sector shaft carefully, you should find the blind or missing spline. That will only line up with it's corresponding wide spline in the pitman arm. Dave's picture isn't of a flairbird setup, but should give you an idea. If you can't get it lined up you might need to drop the left tie rod or just separate the pitman arm from the drag link. good luck, Bob C

Comment

• stubbie
        Experienced
        • Jul 7 2011

Sorry guys it's a 64.

Comment

• stubbie
          Experienced
          • Jul 7 2011

Got it done. I had to drop the tie rod end off. The pitman arm went straight back on when I did that.
          Thanks all

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎