X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • newyear
    Experienced
    • Jan 4 2005

Turning over the engine

Hi-I would like some advice please-I want to be able to turn over my engine with the plugs out prior to starting it.I've read that one method is to earth the HT lead onto the block but this seems a bit risky with petrol vapour present and I dont want to damage the coil or the ignition system-Any advice gratefully received!
    Many thanks
    Peter

I would just pull the coil wire out of the coil has the motor been sitting a long time or have you had the motor running before if it has been setting for a few years I would put a small amount of oil in each cylinder before I turn the motor over. Bob M

Comment

• newyear
      Experienced
      • Jan 4 2005

Turning over the engine

Thanks Bob M

The engine was last run about 6 months ago-I need a radiator replacement/repair so have not been able to drive the car for any distance but like to be able to start it on occassion.The float bowls seem to empty if the engine is not run so it seems a good idea to turn the engine over to get them filled prior to attempting engine start.I will lubricate the cylinders prior to starting as advised...

Many thanks

Peter

Comment

Hi Peter welcome to the site.These old 352 are very sturdy engines.When I bought mine it had set for 10 yrs in a man garage.Before I paid him we poured a small amout of petro (as you would say) into the carb and it started right up and has run fine since.
        If you feel uncomfortable doing that just remove the center wire from the coil as Bob mentioned,and turn the motor with the key as normal.
        Are you anywhere near Glouschester (not sure on the spelling) but that is where my mom is from.She's a Bennett,lots of them I'm sure.

Comment

• newyear
          Experienced
          • Jan 4 2005

Turning over the engine

George,
          Thanks for your message.I live about 250 miles from Gloucester but stayed there for about a week on a course-its a nice part of the country.As you say,the Bennett name is well known and is well known in my county also.I fired up my engine yesterday without too much drama-Running quiet and smooth-Just need to get my cooling system sorted out and I can get her back on the road...It's a great help having a site like this to turn to
          Best wishes
          Peter

Comment

• JohnG
            John
            • Jul 28 2003

On the firewall above the steering column is probably a ballast resistor (60s used a resistance wire, I think). You can disconnect either lead on it and you will have disconnected the ignition system by doing so. The benefit here is if you leave the key on by accident you will not fry the points in the event they were in the closed position (there is about a 50-50 chance they are closed at any given instant).

There is a school of thought among old timers that putting some Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders is a good thing.

john
            58 Hardtop
            1958 Hardtop
            #8452 TBird Registry
            http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
            history:
            http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎