Electronic Ignition

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Electronic Ignition

Hi

In hope to get better fuel economy I have installed Pertronix electronic ignition “Ignitor” and their high performance coil (Flame Thrower). Because of the winter I have not been able to do any gas mileage tests yet. This system enables larger plug gaps. A Swedish magazine has tested the system with great result (11 % lower gas consumption). They increased the spark plug gap from 0.035 inch to 0.050 inch. I have increased the plug gaps to 0.046 inch. Does such spark gap sound sensible? I hope I soon can report how the new system has affected the gas mileage :-)
  • Rockin Kev
    Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

RE: Electronic Ignition

Hi Eric
    I too have installed this set up with the coil and the HT Leads that go with this set. My mech who tunes my cars said it would work better with larger gap on the plugs. I have had this set up for over a year now and gas mileage is alot better hence when i travel around trip of 1300 miles to go to our rock n roll Hemsby weekender in May the more i save on gas the more beer i can enjoy!!.
    Nice pictures so when the scoop is cromed will you be completing the full exterior dress up kit?. I will be doing this option to mine in the summer as i think it will look great on the rose paint work.
    Take care
    Kevin.

Comment

• Rockin Kev
      Experienced
      • Oct 31 2002

Eric
      One other question i forgot to ask how did you get on with your power steering leak?. And dont loose the clear plastic feeler gauge that come with the electronic Igition as they will not send you a replacement. If you have you can always borrow mine then post it back to me.
      Kev.

Comment

Hi Kevin,

It’s good to hear that the gas mileage is a lot better. Do know which gap you have on the plugs? The hood scoop is a sad story. The items arrived last week. What I found was a chromed and destroyed scoop. It looks like someone had it in a heat own, the rear upper part have sinking down. It will not fit the hood. Now I have to find a new scoop. I’m going to California and the Pomona swap meet at March 2. Perhaps I can find one there. I don’t think I will do any more chroming at the moment. I send you some pics of the scoop. Check your e-mail.

No I have not done anything with the power steering yet. I decided to buy a gasket kit when I’m in California. Perhaps it’s best to replace the gaskets. Oh yes I still have the clear feeler gauge left. I tried to measure with a steel gauge. It was nearly impossible because of the magnetism.

Regards

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

I also am using the Pertronics ignition in my 1960 golde top. I have the Mallory Unilite optical ignition in my 1959. I am running the the stock mustard top coil. I have never thought of widening the gap on the spark plugs. I would not think it would make that much difference in gas mileage. I might give it a try.

Eric, if you need a good a good rechromer who won't destroy your hood scoop, I can recommend a couple.

The hood scoop is made out of pot metal. Pot metal is quite soft. If you carefuly and slowly bend it, you may be able to bend it back into shape. Be careful though as pot metal will crack if bent too far. I have bent many hood scoops back into shape.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the tips. Maybe it’s possible to bend the scoop into shape. I have a hot air blower. The air temp is 662 alt 932 F (350 alt 500 C). My idea is to gently warm up the scoop with hot air to soften the pot metal for easier bending. I can see one problem since the chrome is hard and the pot metal is softer. Isn’t there a risk for cracking the chrome shell? But I have nothing to loose, it’s the only chance to use this scoop. I will give it a try}>

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

Thin chrome is quite flexible. It will bend with the pot metal.

Tell us how it works out.

Alexander
              1959 Hardtop
              1960 Golde Top
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                Experienced
                • Oct 31 2002

Eric
                Pomona swap meet hhhhmmmm! I loved to go there this is where two of our English dealers go with shopping list for customers so have a good time. I will now think twice about crome on the scoop and there is a Yank scrap yard here with two Squarebirds in so i will try and get you a new scoop( thats if the cars aint crushed!).
                Kevin
                PS
                Alex can you post details of the crome company please thanks.

Comment

Kevin,
                  Thanks for your consideration about the scoop. It can happen that I need one, but I should try to bend that one I have first. I think it could be difficult to bend it whiteout doing any waves. Did you get my e-mail I sent from this board?

Comment

• Rockin Kev
                    Experienced
                    • Oct 31 2002

Eric
                    Sorry i did not get the e-mail.
                    Kevin.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰