X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Astrowing
    Experienced
    • Jul 22 2009

58 hardtop Rear quarter front edge weather strip

I ordered replacement weatherstrip for front of the rear quarter windows from Dennis Carpenter but it’s too narrow to bridge gap to front window. It’s about 3/4 of the width of original. Suggestions?

Quarter Window Seal
    Item ID: B9A-6330146-PR
    sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

If the old seals fit okay and it's not a window adjustment problem, I would say they sent you the wrong seals. I replaced mine and just made a measurement from the edge of the metal frame (seals installed) to the edge of the rubber and it measures 5/8". You can check that against the ones that were sent to you.
    Nyles

Comment

• Deanj
      Super-Experienced
      • Nov 26 2015

I Agree with Nyles. The only adjustment I had to make was the length of the weather strip, and if someone says you shouldn't have to adjust that for size, I would disagree, strongly. I had to adjust the height from the top so the bottom lined up.

Dean

Comment

• Astrowing
        Experienced
        • Jul 22 2009

Thanks! I’ve decided that the weatherstrip I thought was original was from some other hard top car. Drivers window is too far forward so i’ll Adjust window reward first. Vent window will probably have to come aft also. The length of new weatherstripping will have to be trimmed also.
        sigpic

Comment

• Astrowing
          Experienced
          • Jul 22 2009

When the window is properly adjusted, could someone measure the distance between back of side window metal trim and front of quarter window metal trim? Thanks
          sigpic

Comment

• Dan Leavens
            Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jim can you take a picture of what measurement you want on Lucille and then I will measure our 58 for you?

When the window is properly adjusted, could someone measure the distance between back of side window metal trim and front of quarter window metal trim?
            Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
            Thunderbird Registry
            58HT #33317
            60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

On my 58 the distance is half an inch (the gap between the front window metal frame and the quarter window metal frame).
              sigpicFrank
              1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
              Thunderbird registry #61670

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

I just checked mine and I have about 3/8" metal frame to metal frame. That was achieved after hours and hours of adjusting the windows and opening the slots in frame to allow for more movement. I also had to move the door windows to the rear to close the gap. Have fun.
                These quarter windows can be a real challenge to get right.
                Nyles
                Attached Files

Comment

• Astrowing
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 22 2009

Thanks everyone! That’s it. I’ve got a lot of work to do with mine. Someone put a wider weatherstrip on it. More like the 72 Cougar from what I remember. So I’ll work to get 1/2 inch or less.
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎