X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OX1
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 10 2016

15" wheels with stock 14" hubcaps

Thinking about doing this so I can use the disk brakes off my parts car and have a bit better availability of tires. Not sure if it is worth the effort over just getting a different disk kit.

59-430-HT
  • Yadkin
    Banned
    • Aug 11 2012

I'm not sue why you just wouldn't get a set of 15" hup caps. I have a set on ebay right now with no bidders. Some one's bound to get a heck of a deal.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

The idea is to use your original sunburst full wheel-cover hubcaps. Who knows what kind of brakes are behind them?

If you have exhausted all possibilities of finding Granada/Versailles/Torino or Ranger wheels, simply buy brand new 14" wheels from Summitracing.com. They cost about $50/each including free shipping when you buy two or more.

If a small corner of your caliper needs grinding, there's plenty of meat left in that casting, so go ahead and grind. I use my angle grinder to smooth the surface of my castings before painting. The finished product doesn't look like cast iron. It looks more like molded plastic or aluminum with no parting lines from the sand molds. Smoothing the surface also gives it added strength even though it doesn't need it. Come to think of it... I've never seen or heard of a caliper that broke or failed. I've seen piston bores that were rusted/pitted beyond repair but the castings were still good. - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• OX1
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by Yadkin
        I'm not sue why you just wouldn't get a set of 15" hup caps. I have a set on ebay right now with no bidders. Some one's bound to get a heck of a deal.
        PM me the link if you don't mind, but so far I have not found a 15" cover that is close enough, or IMO, looks period correct enough to make me say that is what came with the car. I'm not looking for concourse correctness, but I want the car to look more stock than not, to the untrained eye.

Originally posted by simplyconnected
        The idea is to use your original sunburst full wheel-cover hubcaps. Who knows what kind of brakes are behind them?

If you have exhausted all possibilities of finding Granada/Versailles/Torino or Ranger wheels, simply buy brand new 14" wheels from Summitracing.com. They cost about $50/each including free shipping when you buy two or more.

If a small corner of your caliper needs grinding, there's plenty of meat left in that casting, so go ahead and grind. I use my angle grinder to smooth the surface of my castings before painting. The finished product doesn't look like cast iron. It looks more like molded plastic or aluminum with no parting lines from the sand molds. Smoothing the surface also gives it added strength even though it doesn't need it. Come to think of it... I've never seen or heard of a caliper that broke or failed. I've seen piston bores that were rusted/pitted beyond repair but the castings were still good. - Dave
        The disk brake kit that is on my parts car appears to be slightly larger than the Granada brake stuff (especially rotor size, even though caliper itself looks almost the same). But do you have a link to the 14" wheels from summit that you think will work. I'd order one and just pay shipping to see if it works.
        59-430-HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Two members come to mind, actually four. All are Squarebirds, using Scarebird brackets, S-10 calipers, Mustang 11" rotors and 14" rims on their power front disk brakes.
          Most recently, Larry Noska and Yellowbird did their Squarebirds with 11" Mustang rotors and 14" rims.

Years ago, Howard Prout and Yellowrose both use 14" rims with their 11" Mustang rotors, but they are using Granada type rims from a bone yard. All four of these cars are still running.

Summit wheels, 14" diameter, 5-lug X 4.5" bolt diameter, 3-1/2" back spacing:
          Free Shipping - U.S. Wheel 70 Series White 8-Spoke Wheels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Wheels at Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3104612/overview/<---I like this Cragar
          Free Shipping - U.S. Wheel 90 Series White Modular Wheels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Wheels at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - U.S. Wheel 204 Series Stealth Blade Black Wheels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Wheels at Summit Racing.

Any of these four should do. Remember, you're putting a full wheel cover on them. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Originally posted by OX1
            PM me the link if you don't mind, but so far I have not found a 15" cover that is close enough, or IMO, looks period correct enough to make me say that is what came with the car. I'm not looking for concourse correctness, but I want the car to look more stock than not, to the untrained eye.
            No need to PM a link that I am paying to advertise. Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201541357476...84.m1555.l2649

I have the wheels and tires on Craigslist, going begging as well. I'm sure you can find some local and save shipping. http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/wto/5455691126.html

Comment

• OX1
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
              Two members come to mind, actually four. All are Squarebirds, using Scarebird brackets, S-10 calipers, Mustang 11" rotors and 14" rims on their power front disk brakes.
              Most recently, Larry Noska and Yellowbird did their Squarebirds with 11" Mustang rotors and 14" rims.

Years ago, Howard Prout and Yellowrose both use 14" rims with their 11" Mustang rotors, but they are using Granada type rims from a bone yard. All four of these cars are still running.

Summit wheels, 14" diameter, 5-lug X 4.5" bolt diameter, 3-1/2" back spacing:
              Free Shipping - U.S. Wheel 70 Series White 8-Spoke Wheels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Wheels at Summit Racing.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/crr-3104612/overview/<---I like this Cragar
              Free Shipping - U.S. Wheel 90 Series White Modular Wheels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Wheels at Summit Racing.

Free Shipping - U.S. Wheel 204 Series Stealth Blade Black Wheels with qualifying orders of $109. Shop Wheels at Summit Racing.

Any of these four should do. Remember, you're putting a full wheel cover on them. - Dave
              Thanks for the heads up. Still not sure what kit or car these came from, but I ordered one wheel to try and it fits no problem.

Originally posted by Yadkin
              No need to PM a link that I am paying to advertise. Here it is: http://www.ebay.com/itm/201541357476...84.m1555.l2649

I have the wheels and tires on Craigslist, going begging as well. I'm sure you can find some local and save shipping. http://winstonsalem.craigslist.org/wto/5455691126.html
              Thanks, it appears 14's will work after all. Saves me a lot of rim work, but will still limit me on tire choices.
              59-430-HT

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by OX1
                ...I ordered one wheel to try and it fits no problem...
                ...Thanks, it appears 14's will work after all. Saves me a lot of rim work, but will still limit me on tire choices.
                Do you know how huge this is for others with front power DISK BRAKES? If you bought two wheels shipping would be free. But hey, now you know and I'm glad it worked out for you.

If you want to change the stripes, simply scuff the paint with a Scotchbrite and paint it (or powder coat it) black. Your original sunburst caps will fit just fine and nobody will see what kind of brakes or wheels you have.

It's worth noting, there is nothing that compares to new steel. I was in conversation with JohnG about the steep price of fifty bucks. I said, back in the day when I was buying snow tires, they always offered new rims for fifteen bucks. He said, do you know what the dollar ratio was between then and now? It's just over four to one. Meaning, things that cost fifteen bucks back then now cost four times more.
                Hmmm... $15 x 4 =$60. By comparison, the new price is better than the old. He's right on the money. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎