X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Howard Prout
    Experienced
    • Feb 11 2009

Fuel Delivery System

I recently noticed an illustration (first pix below) in the MPC of the fuel delivery system for a '59 430. It shows an inverted glass bowl filter attached to the outlet of the fuel pump, pointed towards the carb. Does anyone have a system that looks like this?

When I got my TBird it had an inverted glass bowl fuel filter but I can't remember how it was oriented. It turned out that the element in the filter was plugged and I replaced the glass bowl fuel filter with a threaded canister type fuel filter, I think the 1960 430s may have had this threaded canister type of fuel filter. After seeing the illustration, I decided I would try to go back to a system similar to the illustration. The distributor cap is right behind the fuel pump so there isn't any space to fit a fuel filter directly behind the fuel pump. So I put a 90 deg. street elbow in the fuel pump outlet to direct the fuel line toward the left side of the engine.

I have had a lot of problems with fuel pumps over the years so I want to be able to change the fuel pump easily without affecting the rest of the system. To that end I put a union between the street elbow and the fuel filter. I also want to be able to check the fuel pressure at any time so installed a fuel pressure gauge right after the filter. Then another 90 deg. street elbow to connect to the line to the carb (see second pix). I know this isn't how it came out of the factory but it was the best I could come up with.

Now back to the fuel pump problem. I've had this problem as long as I've owned the car (35 years) but it seems to have become worse since I had the engine rebuilt a couple of years ago. The engine has always run hot, especially in stop and go traffic. I installed a fan shroud a year or so ago but that hasn't helped. Earlier this spring I experienced a number of situations where the engine almost stalled. So a couple of weeks ago I installed yet another new fuel pump. On a warm day (about 25 deg. F) last week, the engine started to sputter again. Experience has taught me that if I recognize the impending situation soon enough, I can usually work out of the problem by shifting into neutral and working the accelerator pedal - this seems to help pull gas into to the float bowl and all is well again, at least for a while.

I am now wondering if I am having vapor lock problems. As you can see on the gauge, the fuel pressure is about 6 psi, which is what the manual specifies. The engine was fairly cold when the picture was taken. When the engine is hot, the fuel pressure drops to about 4 psi.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions?
    I have thought about using an electric fuel pump but would I then need a return line to the gas tank?
    Attached Files
    sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Howard, if you do go with an electric pump, I suggest you also install a fuel regulator.

If you mount the pump close to the tank, most of the line will be under positive pressure, making vapor lock impossible. I believe electric pumps have a check valve, too.

Modern cars use a 'Pendulum Switch' (usually mounted in the trunk). This will shut off your fuel in the event of a healthy jar (like in an accident). Bone yards throw them out daily.

You can be creative and use that switch in your burgular alarm system, too. They might get her to crank, but it's hard to start without gas. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Fuel Delivery System

Howard, Rose has an electric fuel pump installed on her. It also has an inline fuel filter just after the tank. This electric pump is mounted on the underside by the drivers side wheel well. Then the gas line out of the electric pump runs to the vacuum fuel pump. Then up to the carb, but along the way, it also runs through another inline fuel filter and through my vacuum gauge and then to the carb. It has been working fine for me. I do not know if it has a check valve, or a fuel "regulator". I thought I might have some pix of the electric fuel pump installed, but I did not find any.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• partsetal
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 4 2005

Howard,
        The 59 430 uses the glass filter as you describe. The 60 430 uses a screw in canister filter that fits in the same place.
        One problem with these filters is that they filter the fuel going into the carb. There is nothing to filter the fuel going to the pump where bits of rust or debris can lodge in the one way valves inside the pump.
        If your fuel tank and lines are not new, put a small inline filter in the rubber hose that goes from the front end of your main fuel line to the steel inlet line for your pump.
        I learned this the hard way, and have even returned recently replaced fuel pumps that I thought were bad. With the inline filter I have not had a problem since.
        Carl
        Attached Files

Comment

• Howard Prout
          Experienced
          • Feb 11 2009

Thanks Carl - I thought you would know how the fuel lines are supposed to be routed. I'll have another go at getting it right. I have until recently been using an inline filter before the fuel pump as well as a canister filter between the furl pump and the carb. I guess I'll put one back in on the suction side of the fuel pump.
          sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• 65cobra03
            Apprentice
            • Dec 27 2006

fuel pump

Hi
            Fuel pump's & push rods have been extensivly posted for the 430 mel
            Do yourself a favor & install an electric fuel pump with an inline filter & wire it to a toggle switch at the dash in an unobtrusive spot. You wil have instant cold starts no vapor locks and should have zero hesitation or stalling if your carb is up to snuff. Be sure to mount it at lowest point of tank as these are mostly designed to push not pull .
            On your running hot problem mine has an aux electric cooling fan adjustable thermostaticly activated It was on the car when i bought it so i can't relate much info on it It run's at normal even in this florida heat
            Seriously go the electric pump route it's what these 430's need
            BEN

Comment

• partsetal
              Super-Experienced
              • Jun 4 2005

Howard,
              Here are some additional photos that may help with the 59 430 fuel line routing.
              Carl
              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎