X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssj335
    Experienced
    • Jul 13 2018

Dash Mounted Street Light Viewer

This seems like a barely useful item. Meant to be used when a traffic light is above you and you have to lean forward in order to look up and see if the light is changed to green or not.

But I think it's neat as a nostalgic add-on. Has anyone ever seen or used one of these? Thoughts? Is it ridiculous or amazing?
  • bird 60
    Super-Experienced
    • Mar 18 2009

Nope, never ever seen one, that's definitely a first for me.

Chris.....From OZ.

Comment

• DKheld
      Super-Experienced
      • Aug 27 2008

They are sort-of cool, nostalgic, etc - apparently the place that you used to stop your car for a traffic light was closer than it is now - probably "was" useful but I guess things are standardized now and makes them obsolete. Not even sure if the traffic signals have the cut out at the bottom to direct the light down any more.

I've seen them in old movies etc on various cars but I sort of like the clean dash look. I'm one of those that never understood the fuzzy dice thing either - so I may be weird.

Had a fellow look in my car at a gas station once and he was commenting on how nice the dash was - then he saw the GPS - he cracked up and said "man - that's just wrong".

(yeah - I had put my steering wheel back on crooked after replacing the shifter plate)

Comment

• ssj335
        Experienced
        • Jul 13 2018

I like the clean dash look too. One thing I could use it for would be a makeup mirror lol! Bc the sun visor doesn't have it.

Comment

• ssj335
          Experienced
          • Jul 13 2018

Nevermind, I guess this isn't a mirror but more of a reflector.

Comment

• Joe Johnston
            Super-Experienced
            • Dec 23 2008

Actually it is like a prism - often used in pre mid 50's cars that had exterior sun visors. Traffic light viewers were useful in the day allowing a driver to view a stoplight that was obstructed by that visor. Nostalgic and readily available now as originals and in reproductions.
            Last edited by Joe Johnston; August 31, 2018, 09:44 AM.

Comment

• Deanj
              Super-Experienced
              • Nov 26 2015

"New versions" of Traffic Light Viewers made of sheet prism plastic are for sale. These are sold from Light In Sight: http://www.lightinsight.com/.

I could never see traffic lights from my Corvette, Charger, Challenger, and now my Thunderbird. Price appears as $17.50 each for one, two for $16.00 each with free shipping. Nothing to install except water and a sponge.

Dean

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎