X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
    It's right at the end of the tube, there are several small holes from the rust.
    If it's at the very end of the tube and not where the tube meets the opening in the tank then you should be fine. Just sand away as much of the rust as you can.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
      Experienced
      • May 4 2017

Ok, I put in a brand new gas tank, new fuel filter, took it out for a drive to the gas station, drove fine, got gas, went to start it up and it idled real rough, engine was shaking, let it cool down tried it again, it started and idled fine for about 5 minutes, then the engine started shaking gave it some gas, then it stalled, thought it was the voltage regulator, because the plug was loose, I bent the prongs so the plug would fit tighter. so I had it towed home put the old mechanical voltage regulator and it still does it, wont start and if it does engine shakes give it a little gas then it stalls. Could it be the points, when I bought the car it had a brand new distributor, so I assume the points are new, the car is getting gas, it seems to be something electrical, anybody have any ideas? it was driving fine since I bought it in February, this just started happening a couple weeks ago. Thanks! Is it possible if the car is running very lean it could cause this?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If it runs fine when it's cold it sounds like your choke is not working correctly. Either it's opening too soon or it's not opening enough.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• tbirdmike63
          Experienced
          • May 4 2017

I dont think it my choke, the carb. is brand it seems to be opening fine, are these symptoms of bad points, rotor, cap, bad voltage regulator, bad alternator, timing not set correctly, bad spark plug wires? Thanks!

Comment

• OUR5T8BIRD
            Experienced
            • Mar 1 2017

Originally posted by tbirdmike63
            I dont think it my choke, the carb. is brand it seems to be opening fine, are these symptoms of bad points, rotor, cap, bad voltage regulator, bad alternator, timing not set correctly, bad spark plug wires? Thanks!
            This may be a long shot but seems to be happening a lot lately in our club . Check the condenser to make sure it is tight in the distributor .

Comment

• tbirdmike63
              Experienced
              • May 4 2017

I will do that when I get home. I did purchase a pertronix ignitor system, I think it's time to get rid of the points and condensor, I will keep you posted once it is installed. Thanks!

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                Experienced
                • May 4 2017

I checked out the condenser and it was on there tight, I noticed there was another condenser on the air conditioner compressor connected to the coil, does this have anything to do with the points, do I need to replace both of these to see if the condenser is the problem?

Comment

• scumdog
                  Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by jopizz
                  If it runs fine when it's cold it sounds like your choke is not working correctly. Either it's opening too soon or it's not opening enough.

John

I've had that issue with bad coils.

Good when cold, don't work when hot.
                  A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                    Experienced
                    • May 4 2017

Yeah, when I got home I started the car, it idled bad, then stalled, so even though it was cold it was still doing it. I will wait and see when l get my pertronix and new coil, hopefully that will fix this problem.

Comment

• tbirdmike63
                      Experienced
                      • May 4 2017

Installed the pertronix and new coil, running fantastic!!!! I noticed the old coil had alot of corrosion in the plug, that must have been the problem. Another problem solved.......till the next one, haha, thanks for all your help.

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎