X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rock&Roll Firebird
    Experienced
    • Jun 20 2012

Park tranny position problem

One issue solved, another just popped up . From yesterday I am unable to get the transmission into the park position. The shifting lever gets into the position as it should / as normally, but the tranny remains in the reverse mode. It's worth mentioning that there is some looseness in the shifting lever and I already bought all the detent plates and other stuff for exchange to fix this. Until now the tranny mode selection worked just fine even with the loose shifting lever. Other shifting modes are available and work normally. Any idea where to start digging?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Yes, get all the slop out of your linkage and set it up properly. Your car should shift just fine.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There are instructions in the shop manual Section 4-20 on how to adjust the manual linkage. However they are written assuming your components are in perfect condition which they aren't. You may have to over adjust the linkage to keep it in Park without dropping in Reverse by itself until you replace your shifter parts. The only down side is that you may not be able to shift into Low gear if you need it. For safety reasons I prefer to keep it from going into Reverse by itself to having Low gear. Once you replace the shifter parts you should be able to adjust it according to the manual.

John
      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
        Experienced
        • Jun 20 2012

Thank you guys. I want and I will replace those parts. Only now I need a temporary solution to be able to lock the tranny (thank you for the tip John). As I understand, the repair procedure needs the steering column taken out and that is not an easy task to do from what I've red around here.

Not sure if this procedure was described somewhere (here or elsewhere) but that would be a great help...

Comment

• Rock&Roll Firebird
          Experienced
          • Jun 20 2012

Seems this thread nicely continues in here:

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡