This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 04-25-2017, 01:49 AM
Experienced

sidewalkman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyconnected View Post
This is an open forum open to the internet. We want to know of any deviation from "factory stock."

Our prints show green with a yellow trace (Green-Yellow) start at the headlight switch (D-post). That wire feeds both door switches with power.

You refer to 'switch' but I don't know which one. If you are looking for a 1960 Thunderbird turn signal unit wire it should be Blue. Power for the flasher unit starts as orange-yellow at the key switch and continues to the headlight switch fuse, then to the flasher unit. After the flasher unit, the wire continues to the steering column connectors (look for a blue wire and blue bullet connector).

I have to say, a blown fuse in the middle of a trip is very rare. Fuses usually blow when something happens to cause overcurrent. - Dave
Hi Dave

Of course you were correct, I was probably having an acid flashback. But fuse replaced, signals are back working. I'm pretty sure the whole wiring of the car is stock.

On that note I'm trying to get my micro switch for the washer working but am wonder where I can tap into to get switched power.

Also I have a 3 prong micro switch, 1 is common, power in I'm assuming, then there is normal open and normal closed. I'm assuming to get switch actuation I plug into normal open so the switch closes it and we get power correct?
Red Leather Interior!
www.squarebirds.org/users/sidewalkman
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-25-2017, 04:34 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Scott, are we talking about 'electric wipers'? You don't offer much detail so that's what I assume. If so, the correct method is to ADD an in-line fuse for both the wiper motor and the squirts. I assume you will use an electric motor pump for the squirts (like most modern cars have). Simply add another ring terminal to your key switch 'A' terminal for the new fuse, but put the fuse somewhere convenient, so you can reach it on a dark Sunday night, when most fuses go south.

BTW, while you're under there, you will find an in-line fuse right next to your 1960 Squarebird's key switch. Extend the wires on that fuse and mount it in a convenient place so you can access it without standing on your head.

Micro switches are very reliable and great but most have a very low current capacity. I use them to turn on a relay. In fact, I'm using a computer mouse micro switch for my brake pedal. It nicely energizes a relay coil but the relay contacts do all the heavy lifting for the lamps. Relays and sockets are cheap and practically bullet-proof.

I always invite different ideas and opinions just in case someone has a better one than mine. I'm always learning too, so don't hesitate to share your thoughts. - Dave

Use your ohm meter or a continuity light to find your normally open contacts. If you are only using two terminals on the switch it doesn't matter which terminal you connect to power.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-26-2017, 02:26 AM
Experienced

Quote:
Scott, are we talking about 'electric wipers'? You don't offer much detail so that's what I assume. If so, the correct method is to ADD an in-line fuse for both the wiper motor and the squirts. I assume you will use an electric motor pump for the squirts (like most modern cars have). Simply add another ring terminal to your key switch 'A' terminal for the new fuse, but put the fuse somewhere convenient, so you can reach it on a dark Sunday night, when most fuses go south.
Thanks Dave, I made the little micro switch behind the stock squirter switch to convert it to electric. The stock wiper motor is working great after pulling out all the extra vacuum hoses and capping them at the motor. I did the brake fluid trick at the same time and they've worked well ever since. A note to anyone considering running the brake fluid through the vacuum motor, do it outside, I did it in an underground parking lot, it looked like the building was on fire for an hour after. I now have an ohm meter so I'll get back under there to test for a hot connection.
Red Leather Interior!
Thunderbird Registry #61266
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_g...ibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-26-2017, 06:15 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

Quote:
...Micro switches are very reliable and great but most have a very low current capacity. I use them to turn on a relay...
The relay is very important. If you have problems finding a good one with a socket, I can send you one for five bucks plus shipping. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 04-26-2017, 07:57 AM
John

JohnG is on a distinguished road

Scott, can you show us a photo of your switch conversion? and
what exact switch you purchased?

thanks!
john
Old 04-26-2017, 11:57 AM
Excellent Auto Mechanic for over 40 years.

jopizz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG View Post
Scott, can you show us a photo of your switch conversion? and
what exact switch you purchased?

thanks!
john
The procedure is in the TRL. Here's the link.
http://www.squarebirds.org/Windshiel...mpRetrofit.htm

John

Thunderbird Registry #36223
jopizz@verizon.net 856-779-9695

http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
Old 04-26-2017, 07:05 PM
Experienced

John I did pretty much exactly what is in the TRL. I used these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-10Pcs-Mi...item2ca7b47e55
Red Leather Interior!