No announcement yet.

Knocked a hole in my rad

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knocked a hole in my rad

BEWARE!!! If you ever find yourself having to remove the reservoir off your P/S pump be careful removing the large nut from the bottom of the reservoir.I was using a 1/2 inch drive rachet with a deep well socket and when it brook loose I knocked a hole in my radiator.
    The rad was in the car when I bought it but looks brand new.
    Would anyone reckomend using a stop leak product!!! or just pull it out and have it repaired.
  • Dan Leavens
    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

George ( Colonel ) WOW that must have been a **** of a smack, to put a hole in the rad. I didn't know that large nut under the P/S pump was under that much load, to punch a hole. My experience with the " stop leak" stuff hasn't been good. Initially it may work but in the long run it may be better to replace as I wouldn't want to be cruising in a remote area and overheat.Why don't you pull it and take it over to the rad shop and they can tell you. Good to see that you still have the TBird.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
    Thunderbird Registry
    58HT #33317
    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Stop-leak is only for emergencies. It gucks up everything in the cooling system and oozes coolant from the hole when the car is not running.

A radiator shop can tel you if they can patch the leak or you need a re-core.
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

Hi Dano the nut was not that tight.I was doing it one handed and when it broke loose the handle of the rachet wacked right on a seam.
        The worst part is I worked on her all day Weds,Thurs and Friday to get her ready for the Turkey Rod Run in Daytona and now it just will sit in the driveway till I get the rad fixed Bummer.Have a great weekend George

Comment

Thanks Alex I knew in my heart I would have to pull it.I was just hoping there might be some new miracle cure that I had not heard of.Of well when I get back from the golf course this afternoon I know what I will be doing.

Comment

• Meridious
            Experienced
            • Nov 16 2007

I remember when I restored a 67 Firebird and wanted to add a transmission-cooler. It was the type that mounted on the front of the radiator...about 8 inches by 12 inches...with heavy-duty zip-ties.

I over-did the tightening up of the zip-ties and tore through one of the cores. It was a mess.

Ohhhhh, was I mad at myself.

Comment

Yeah sometimes it feels like I spend more time fixing things I broke than fixing things there were broke.LOL

Comment

• fomoco59
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 10 2005

I did that once while pulling a water pump.. smashed a hole right through a perfectly good radiator. Was not a good day.
                sigpic
                Mike Lemmon
                '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

George ( Colonel ) by the way you didn't tell us how the golf game went????

Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

I'll tell ya Dano playing golf in upstate New York at 1500 ft elev was a hole lot more fun than at 10 ft elev in Florida.I could not beleive I could drive a 300 yard par 4 in One!! (then of course 3 putt for a par)

Comment

• fomoco59
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 10 2005

Where in Upstate NY? I gotta find that course ! It may be nearby!
                      sigpic
                      Mike Lemmon
                      '59 Raven Black Hardtop

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=2461

Comment

It was called Maplehurst GC near Lakewood NY (just west of Jamestown) what a beautiful course with spectacular views of Lake Chautauqua.Here is a pic from the 6th green of me and 2 of my brothers.I'm the good looking one on the left.
                        50 of my friends and relatives celebrated the 4th of July near Sherman NY.My great,great,great,grandfather Dearing Dorman was the 1st white settler in what is now Sherman

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

George I know what you mean. Here in Calgary we are 4200 feet above sea level ( there is no sea but I will continue ) and normally hit an eight iron 155 - 160 yards. A bunch of us go to Myrtle Beach every March and it takes a couple of holes to drop down a club as the ball falls short of the green. Then the 7 iron ( in heavy wind a 5 iron ) to be there in regulation.The older I get, the more I manage the course.

Dano calgary,Alberta Canada
                          Thunderbird Registry
                          58HT #33317
                          60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Dano I know just what you mean.I just turned 57 If I am over 200 yrds out I lay up to the 100 yd marker where I know my PW will get me on the green.Now if I can just get used to the Oddosey putter my kids got me for Fathers Day I'll be in good shape.
                            Don't know about you but I have an 0837 tee time in the morning.LOL Sorry
                            Let me know when you are going to Myrtle Beach next year,it is only an 8 hr drive from here,maybe we can get together for a round

Comment

• Dan Leavens

• Oct 4 2006

George as you know, ( from your LOL ) tee times are not available this time of year in snowy Calgary. The Oddysey
                              putter takes some time to get used, as the tracking is a little different. Try using a little extra weight to putt past the hole and keep the pace of the ball rolling.. Anyway, we normally go down and hit Myrtle Beach the first week in March.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada.
                              Thunderbird Registry
                              58HT #33317
                              60 HT (Sold )

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡