X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

AFB Choke (Bearknee needs electric)

Welcome, Bearknee. You've come to the right place for all your Thunderbird questions.

I would like to start by saying an electric choke really has no relationship with your engine's heat. It is a ten-ohm resistor that slowly heats up (even if your engine stalled) and it should be attached to a wire that is only hot when your engine is running. Your Armature post, on the voltage regulator should work just fine. It's tempting, but don't use your coil wire, unless you go directly to your ignition switch.

Here is a place to buy for US$65. I don't know if they have the best price, but it's a place to start.
    CLICK HERE then go to the bottom of the page.

1478Electric Choke
    Manual to Electric Choke Conversion Kit
    $64.95

I understand you are having your valves ground. Are you also having your exhaust seats replaced (for unleaded gas)? I recommend having your towers machined to accept viton seals, too. They work MUCH better than those OEM neoprene things that harden and quit working.

Here is a set of Y-block heads I did:
    CLICK HERE

Where in Ontario are you?
    I live 12 miles from Windsor, ON, and my wife is part Ojibway.
    - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

• protourbird
    Experienced
    • Apr 29 2008

This unit is $48.75 @ Summit Racing. www.summitracing.com
    sigpic
    Jim

protourbird

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by protourbird
      This unit is $48.75 @ Summit Racing. www.summitracing.com
      Jim, that is a MUCH better price. I'm surprised because I find Summit to be high. Maybe someone can beat Summit's price...

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• bearknee
        • Dec 26 2009

I'm overwhelmed.

Thanks for all advice. Will march on.

I did not grind valves. Replaced them ( hard to find and very expensive ). Seats done for modern fuel.

Dave- Ilive about 500 kms North of you in a very small village called Dunchurch. We have to go to town to hunt.

A 60 convertable 460 is being offered in Winnipeg MB. The car is priced at 750.00 dollars Canadian and could be no more than a parts car. Still a fair price for a convertable parts car. Phone # 204-661-9488.

Again many thanks

Bearknee

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

Just to get my bearings straight, going due north of Sault St. Marie, are you north of Trans-Canada (King's Highway 11)? What's the temp up there right now? - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Howard Prout
            Experienced
            • Feb 11 2009

Hi Dave:

I went to Google Earth and got the following info:

Dunchurch, ON: Lat 45* 38' 58.23"N, Long 79* 50' 59.00"W (Corrected: I previously had the wrong latitude)
            Royal Oak, MI: Lat 42* 29' 22.13"N, Long 83* 08' 40.73" W
            Difference: Lat 3* 09' 36.10", Long 3* 57' 41.73" - in essence Dunchurch is almost due NE of Royal Oak.

The ruler in Google Earth gives a distance of 280 miles between the two locatons.

The calculator on the web site http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html
            determine the distance between the two locations as 282 miles via a great circle route.Close enough!

Dunchurch is north east of Parry Sound, south east of Sudbury and South west of North Bay between Highways 11 and 69.

According to The Weathernet web page the temperatures at both locations at 19:00 on 2009 12 27 was -3C.

PS to Bernie, sorry to steal your thunder. Now back to your electric choke issue - My 430 has a Carter AFB and uses a heat pipe from the exhaust manifold to control the choke and it works fine.
            Last edited by Howard Prout; December 28, 2009, 03:33 PM. Reason: Corrections and additions
            sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• bearknee
              • Dec 26 2009

Howard,

I find no fault with your findings. I led Dave astray when I said I was North of Windsor. Really North-East. I also was factoring the road miles not the crow flies.

Truth- just South of Sudbury or North Bay

Because of all this interest I have advised 'she who must be obeyed' to put on another bowl of chile cause we're apt to have guests.

Bearknee

Comment

• bearknee
                • Dec 26 2009

I erred again

The ad I mentioned was a 430 not 460

Bearknee

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

CHILI? Did someone say, CHILI?? That's it, I'm comin' over. (I hope it's got some venison in it, too.)

Ok, let's see... 124, just before I get to 520... Got any Blue to wash it down with, eh?

Howard, you're the MAN! Good directions and dinner, to boot!

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎