X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

1960 Sunroof 430 in Hemmings Classic Car

Went to Dad's this weekend and he got his new issue (Septembe, I think) of Hemmings Classic Car magazine. There was a nice write up of a restoration of a 1960 Sunroof with a 430. I had to leave soon after it came out of the mailbox, so I didn't get to read the article in full, however.

I did notice, though, that the car was sporting a 2 piece fan shroud. Are the shrouds on the 430 cars as mysterious as the 352's?
    Check [link:www.hemmings.com/subscribe/current_issue.html?publication=HCC|the HCC website], I think they put the full issue up eventually, but it's not there yet.
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: 1960 Sunroof 430 in Hemmings Classic Car

I subscribe to that magazine. I will look for the issue. I believe the radiators for the 430 and the 352 are the same, so the shrouds should same. As I said, I do not believe anyone has ever been able to document that a Squarebird came out of the factory with a shroud.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• trim code 76
      Experienced
      • Aug 3 2006

Mine is an all original 196o with 352 and no there is not a shroud on it. Also I now the guy who has this car. It is up for sale now on ebay. PERFECT CAR, ALL ORIGINAL AND VERY, VERY RARE!:7

Comment

• dgs
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 13 2003

Are you saying you know the car in the article? It was not original, he found it in a field somewhere and restored it.
        DGS (aka salguod)
        www.salguod.net

Comment

• tarps3
          Super-Experienced
          • Jul 21 2003

I looked at that issue last night.
          A couple of weird things:
          The car had the air conditioner register above the radio, but the heater control panel was for a non-AC car. Also, the big AC box on the engine side of the firewall (condenser/fan?) was missing.

The finish on the glove box and dash was incorrect as well - too shiny.
          The starter cable was bright red too - looked odd to me.

Also, there is what appears to be a bright white horn visible thru the grille. Did the 430 motors locate the horn there?

None of it, except the AC issue is a big deal, but Hemmings features it as a factory correct restoration.

they should have waited for Tom Young to finish his restoration - it's perfect from what I can see.
          Casey

Comment

• trim code 76
            Experienced
            • Aug 3 2006

Sorry, made a mistake, this was NOT the car I was thinking of. Also with regards to the fan shroud, sounds like it may have been on A/C cars and also could have been a dealer installed option, although a factory parts manual I have does show it. x(
            Greg

Comment

• dgs
              Super-Experienced
              • Feb 13 2003

I can't speak to thos pecific things on that car, but Hemmings' standards and acuracy has seemed to slip in recent years.

Didn't their Muscle Machines mag. run a story on that fake NASCAR Squarebird as real a while ago? In the previous issue of Classic Car they mis-identified a '59 Ford wagon as a '57 on one page, then on another page had correctly identified picures of both.

Still good magazines. If Dad ever stops his subscription, I might have to get one. :P
              DGS (aka salguod)
              www.salguod.net

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

I have the issue. It is a very nice car, but as Casey points out there are some odd things about it. Why does it have A/C vents when it has no compressor, condensor box or even the controls for the A/C?

Its got a five-blade fan for an A/C car, but it and the spacer should not be painted white.

I agree that those red battery wires are garish.

I know KULTULZ would be upset about that non-Ford battery.

You must thank this man though for bringing this car back from the dead. He just needs a little help with the details.

Alexander
                1959 Hardtop
                1960 Golde Top
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• dgs
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Feb 13 2003

I got back to Dad's and looked at it again. That AC thing is odd. If he just didn't get the working bits back in yet, why the wrong control panel? Perhaps he's converting to AC and all he's got in is the new dash.

Also, it's not a 'factory correct' restoration, he did a disc brake conversion. That article doesn't mention where the kit came from, but it used Aerostar discs. Calipers were from something else, I don't remember what, but the wheels were from a Ranger.

The other thing I noticed was it had mirrors on both sides, visible in the before picture of it in the field as well as the after shots. It had supposedly been in the field for 27 years, which would be mid-late 70's.
                  DGS (aka salguod)
                  www.salguod.net

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎