Gas leak

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas leak

Hi Everyone,

Another question. I just filled up and gas is leaking out of what I guess is an overflow tube. This only happened once before. It does not happen regularly after a fill up. Any thoughts?
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Overflow??? You mean the vent? OMG, Ford never designed a car to dump excessive gasoline. The vent tube (if your car has one like my Galaxie) raises high inside the trunk then exits outside, next to the filler neck. They use the height of the trunk as a 'trap' so air can equalize pressure in the tank but liquid stays down.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for responding! Yes, it would be the vent. Would you know what causes gas to exit thru the vent, down the bumper and eventually on the ground/

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

Something is terribly wrong because a condition like that in a new car would have initiated a major recall. You must have a broken connection or a tube that has rusted through.

Carefully follow the tube and use all your senses as you go. Move it around. Use a flashlight.

Is there a strong odor in your trunk? Is this happening on hot days? C'mon, give more detail because all I know is what you report, which is; this is the second time the vent tube is leaking after a fill-up. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Hi,

It's a rubber tube abot 3/8 " diameter. No smell in the trunk. Yes the days were warm but nothing above 80.

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Even though you have a vent tube make sure your gas cap is also vented.

John
            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Hi John,

Thanks for your advice. I sent an email to Stant. They have several types. It looks like the most popular has a red lever on it.Part #10331. Do you think I should get that or just a regular vented gas cap?

Terry

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Terry Gorman
                Hi,

It's a rubber tube abot 3/8 " diameter. No smell in the trunk. Yes the days were warm but nothing above 80.
                Your fuel tank vent should be small-diameter steel tubing (like 3/16" or 1/4") not a rubber hose. The only rubber used would be at the connections with clamps.

For the fuel tank cap, Rockauto.com sells STANT 10646 caps for under five bucks. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

There's a rubber hose that connects to the vent fitting and sits in a groove on top of the tank so it's not crushed between the tank and trunk floor.

John

Comment

Thanks John and Dave!

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by jopizz
                      There's a rubber hose that connects to the vent fitting and sits in a groove on top of the tank so it's not crushed between the tank and trunk floor.
                      Oops. I meant fuel fitting not vent fitting. As Dave mentioned there's a small metal vent tube near the filler neck.

John

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Have you located the leak yet?

I do not suspect the fuel line because the suction would cavitate rather than leak. My understanding of the problem is that fuel leaks out onto the pavement.

It's important you find the leak ASAP. From here, I can't see how rusted your fuel line is or how rotted your connections are. So, it's up to you to locate the leak. Let us know what you found. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

Talked to my mechanic today. He only has one guy at the shop that can work on older cars. I'm schedule with him next Wednesday.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who commented. I now have a metal overflow tube and vented gas cap.Hopefully no more problems. I also have 2 pr. of Thunderbird valve covers, goldish in color. Not sure which motor they fit. If anyone needs these, let me know. Not sure what they are worth. Also located the upper interior windshield molding. I appreciate everyone's suggestions.

Terry

Comment

• OX1
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Feb 10 2016

Originally posted by Terry Gorman
                              Talked to my mechanic today. He only has one guy at the shop that can work on older cars. .
                              WOW, sad state of affairs these days I guess, but it is what it is..............
                              59-430-HT

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎