• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeoffInCarlsbad
    Experienced
    • Jul 4 2015

Thanks, Eric!

Hi Eric:

Thanks for your help! I hope to finally get to this in the next few weeks, and I will make sure I post lots of pictures. I take many to make sure that if I have to put it back together I can! And if anyone can learn from what we do...mo' bettah.

~g
    Geoff In Carlsbad
    1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

• Wingman65
      Apprentice
      • Sep 20 2015

My 63 390 intake has the port and tube from the back of the intake to the carb spacer plate but I don't have the proper check valve. Anyone know where I can get one?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

If you can't find one from your local auto store Rockauto.com has them in stock. PCV valves are all the same so as long as you find one with the correct inlet and outlet size it will work.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
          Administrator
          • May 26 2009

I'm with John for the most part. PCV valves are DIRECTIONAL and they usually have an arrow on the side showing flow. They are designed to block flow in the opposite direction so that a backfire does not send air/fuel mixture into your block.

To test flow, blow into one end. If it flows free then the arrow should point away from your mouth. If flow feels blocked, then your mouth-side should be the engine side.

PCVs came in a host of configurations. Some are threaded on one end and a hose connection on the other end. On the kind with threads, one end COULD be screwed into the carb side or it could be for a car with a threaded hole in the engine side, all depending on the direction of flow. Pay attention and get the right one. I would find one for a car similar in size to your engine.

For example, let's say you have a 390. Pontiac made a 389, a Dodge 383 and many engines hover around 400 cubes. If you have a 352, that's very close to a Chevy 350 or a Dodge 340. They may all work the same but we have a wide variety of engine displacements to choose from.

I use the type that pushes into a rubber grommet in the valve cover. It's important that you have TWO ports in your engine: one pulling for the PCV and the other to let fresh air in. If your engine is closed up and you create a vacuum by installing a single PCV, you will pull oil passed the rings, creating more blowby. Conversely, if your engine is old and tired it may have more blowby than any PCV could possibly deal with. For these types, I use a passive system that simply plugs into the air cleaner, not the intake manifold. I drill my port on the outside of the air cleaner element and plumb the hose to either your valley pan or a rocker cover with NO PCV valve. This method was used in the first cars with pollution controls. - Dave
          Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
          --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Wingman65
            Apprentice
            • Sep 20 2015

I found the correct pcv valve at Rockauto for 5 bux. It is the metal valve that screws into a fitting behind the carb that attaches to carb spacer. They also have the correct carb spacer gasket with the extension for pcv inlet. The car had just a carb gasket under the plate which doesnt seal pcv inlet and it must have had one **** of a vacuum leak.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Wingman65
              I found the correct pcv valve at Rockauto for 5 bux...
              What's the part number?
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Wingman65
                Apprentice
                • Sep 20 2015

The pcv valve is a Standard Motor Products V100 and cross references to C1DZ6A666B, 3165552 and others.

The carb spacer gasket is Fel-Pro 13303 and cross references to 660184, C2AZ9447B and others.

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                  Experienced
                  • Jul 4 2015

Success

I finally got this done. The 1962/63 Carb Spacer worked just fine. I do not bow my hood one iota, even though everything raised up about 1" (less in the rear).

Regulator valve in line. Ran her today for about 10 miles around town; lo & behold, no fumes affecting the passenger, and no smoke coming from rear exhaust. Had to replace the intake manifold studs with 3" -18 & 24 in the front, 2 1/2" -18 & 24 in the rear (thank you Summit Racing). Fresh gaskets, no leaks around the carb or spacer. Made sure to clean intake manifold and paint & polish the carb spacer.

Just have to jack up the front end to get the road draft tube off the frame. I'll take care of this over the weekend.

I was very pleased Betty started right up with little hesitation. If anyone is interested I can post pics tomorrow (Friday 12/18).

I am just so pleased this finally worked out, and I never could have done it without you folks on this forum.

Now, just need to get those valve covers off for new paint, and I am golden (or argent silver for '61).
                  Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• DKheld
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Aug 27 2008

Geoff - I'd love to see the end results. No big hurry with the holidays and all.

Know what you mean about no more fumes. I hated the finger pointing when I pulled up to a traffic light and smoke whiffed out from the hood scoop too.

Funny - I did the same thing - very carefully shut the hood to see how bad the air cleaner was going to hit - and it cleared!!

Glad it all worked out.

Eric

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                      Experienced
                      • Jul 4 2015

Love to share...especially when it works!

HI Erik:

Sure thing, below are some pics I just took. I didn't want to remove the carb, but I think these 3 pics show the set up and the 62/63 spacer well enough.

I took a hacksaw to the water ports. I will plug those with filler, sand and repaint next time I pull the carb off.

I did paint the spacer, but when checking for leaks, my carb spray took off some of the paint!

Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 4 2015

Better Pics

These are a little better...

Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• yellow98cobra
                          Experienced
                          • May 28 2012

Question... the whole setup runs from the back of the intake manifold thru the PCV valve and then to the carb spacer?

And thats it?

Looks very simple. The setup in the TRL has it plumbed through the air cleaner and the breather on the valve cover?

Thanks Eric
                          Yellow98Cobra
                          1960 Thunderbird HT
                          Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
                          There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
                          http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/

Comment

• jopizz
                            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

What you are describing is a closed system. Prior to 1965 the pcv setup was an open system. There was no hose from the oil cap to the air cleaner.

John
                            John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                            jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                              Experienced
                              • Jul 4 2015

PCV Setup

Hi Eric:

Yes, the PCV hose runs right into the Carb Spacer. These pics below show a 1962/63 Carb Spacer. I used one very similar to this, and just cut off the cooling hose connections.

It was really just that simple.

Some folks either drilled a hole in the back of the air cleaner or in one of the valve covers. I found this the easier and more effective method, since spacer feeds all 8 cylinders. I also wanted to preserve the integrity of the air cleaner and valve covers.
                              Geoff In Carlsbad

sigpic

Comment

• Yadkin
                                Banned
                                • Aug 11 2012

That's the same carb spacer as my 64.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰