X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

"Red Baron" Rides Again!

You are going to enjoy seeing the pictures of George ~ ggb313's beautiful red 1960 Convertible with Tri-Power! Here are a few things George had to say about her. BTW, I do not know what name he has given her. That is what I nicknamed her when I saw her! Maybe it should be the "Red Baroness"!

"Thank you for the kind words about my 430 convertible. I've had a lot of them over the years and a national class 57 (also XKE roadster '66)

I design, build and restore golf courses now. A few years ago I got rid of at least two of the three cars. I kept the 60 convertible because it was a bit more practical.

It has all options except the spot light. Dottling wanted me to put it in but I did not have the heart to make a hole in the dash and the car ....

The tri-power is quite unique - needed some modifications to fit under the hood - huge air cleaner.

The 430 air conditioner Dottling took out of a 430 hardtop many years ago, continental kit, engine was bored out 30-over years ago and with the tri-power it is well over 400 HP.

The bottom two pix show the original Merc installation.
    There was/is a Lincoln version also all built by Bill Stroppe in the 1960's."

George, I also have a NOS spotlight/rear view mirror that I will probably put on YellowRose. In fact, I have two of them. Thanks for the beautiful pix and for joining our Forum. We have a great bunch of guys and gals here. In a couple of the pix she has a darker red look to her, but I think that is because there was no sun to brighter her up! Here are the pix!
    Attached Files

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Hey George,
    What a beauty!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• ggb313
      • Mar 8 2010

correction

I said: "There was/is a Lincoln version also all built by Bill Stroppe in the 1960's."

Stroppe was head of the Lincoln racing team and FOMOCO
      commissioned him to build a tri power to compete against the new caddie tri powers. The Lincoln was too heavy so they decided to put the tri power in the Mercury Racing cars where it was more successful.

These units could be ordered from Lincoln, Mercury and Edsel (?) Dealers for the year 1958.

Stroppe had John Holman working for him at the time but soon thereafter Holman joined up with Ralph Moody and opened up in Charlotte ........................... Interestingly, they then hired Bill Stroppe to work for them ..... this developed into the racing 59 Thunderbird Racing cars.

I had to do a few under the hood modifications to get this tri power into my car.

The prices for these units are now sky-high, unlike when I was collecting them ......... no one seemed to know what they were at the time (1970's - 80s) - nor cared!

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

STUNNING!!!! Great with red interior & exterior.
        And I love that air intake!
        sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

You must feel like a King when you take her out for a spin,man it looks great.

Comment

• 1966and1963
            • Mar 24 2010

Simply beautiful! You must be very proud of her.
            Jim Mann
            DeSoto, Missouri
            1966 Ford Thunderbird HT 390
            1963 Ford Thunderbird Landau 390

Comment

Beautiful car ...

Those Merc cast alum. air cleaners are a work of art. Mike

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢