Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Does anyone know where you can buy a new windshild for a 60 Thunderbird???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone know where you can buy a new windshild for a 60 Thunderbird???

I went to a car show yesterday and there was a beautiful 60 T Bird that would make mine look like junk. Well the owner is in need of a replacement windshield as his has a crack and needs to be replaced. Any and all information would greatly be appreciated.. Jon
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Maybe Safelight glass? They used to have that ad with the black '60 T-bird cruising down the desert highway...
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

Replacement new windshields are available from most of the T-Bird vendors. I warn you that they are not at all like the originals. The are missing the convex curve from the cowl to the roof. They are flat instead. They look like a 1957 Thunderbird windshield.

Original windshields in good condition are nearly nonexistent.
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

There was a guy on either pasco or portland's craiglist had windshields

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

At one point, LOF glass (who has supplied most all car lines) still had the original. It was around $1200.00
          Mine has scratches from wiper blades, but I think one of these windshield repair guys that fix chips can do something with it.
          At one point years ago we (my dad)almost bought a Hardtop for a parts car. It had a cherry windshield in it (that he needed at the time). The body was straight but the interior was junk. He should have bought it. One thing that stopped him was somebody had told him that a windshield from a hardtop was different than a convertible. Something to do with that curve Alexander mentioned. I think they were wrong, but he wound up going to a glass co and paying big bucks for one.
          Then a few years later it got scratched.

Comment

• Alexander
            Webmaster
            • Oct 30 2002

Convertible and Hardtop windshields are the same.

There was one vendor of windshields for all common makes at Carlisle who said he had new reproduction windshields for Squarebirds that were exact, but he did not have an example there. I would like to replace my windshields. They have a lot of sand scratches.

I just don't want to to replace them with the ones that are missing the curve. I think they look odd.
            Alexander
            1959 Hard Top
            1960 Golde Top
            sigpic

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

There was a company at hot august nights that claimed to have front shields for $250. He didn't have any there, but he said they were correct for the car.

His company name was Auto City Classis, Inc. out of MN. I have his phone number and email address, is it okay to post it here?

Comment

• Alexander
                Webmaster
                • Oct 30 2002

Sure, post it. If they are correct, I would get one in a heartbeat. I am sure many Squarebird owners out there are anxious to replace their scratched, chipped and cracked nearly 50-year old windshields. The price is very inexpensive.
                Alexander
                1959 Hard Top
                1960 Golde Top
                sigpic

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                  Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Windshield

RustyNca

Absoulutely post the information, as Alexander says, if they are correct ( with curve ) they would sell a ton at $250. I am the same as Alexander that my 58, has small scratchess just from the wear factor and age. If you can find out if they have a tinted windshield for a 58 that would be great OR once you post I will contact. That being said, there is a blue strip about 5 inches, on the top of the windshield that provides the tint.
                  Let us know, as if someone ever decided to mould these they would fly out.

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                  Thunderbird Registry
                  58HT #33317
                  60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• byersmtrco
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Sep 28 2004

$250 ??!!! Put me down for one !!!!!

Comment

• bcomo
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 23 2005

Here is the web site for the Classic auto Glass that RustyNca mentioned. http://www.autocityclassic.com/Scripts/default.asp

They only show glass for the 55-57 T-Bird. BUT, they may have it, and just not listed. Worth a call to them.

Auto City Classic, Inc
                      28433 Highway 65 NE
                      Isanti
                      MN 55040
                      US
                      Brand new auto glass, gas tanks, aluminum radiators, power windows, brakes, steering wheels, and more for classic car, truck, hot rod and muscle car restoration projects. Over 30 years of expertise! Specializing in 1958 Chevrolet.

Orders: (800) 828-2212
                      Inquiries: (763) 444-5880
                      Fax: (763) 444-5985
                      Bart
                      1960 Hard Top/430
                      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• RustyNCa
                        Super-Experienced
                        • May 31 2007

Okay, I emailed Tom at autocity glass.

The front windshield is $399, a full set of side glass is 189, that is the front, rear and wing windows for both sides.

Shipping to me in Redding, CA is $135 for windshield, all side glass and two qtr windows for my olds, so shipping is cheaper than I expected.

I asked if it had the correct curve, all his reply had was pricing.

Oh yeah, the rear quarter glass is 99 each for my olds. Why did I mention it, well, becuase another source I found for that glass wanted 149 for it.

Auto City Classic's number is 763-444-5880 fax 763-444-5985

I didn't call and discuss it with anyone sure better than the 1,200 I was quoted locally.

Bryan

Comment

• RustyNCa
                          Super-Experienced
                          • May 31 2007

Which actually brings up another question, is there any value to the orginal wing and passenger window glass in my car?

I am about 99% certian it is the orginal glass, but it does show it's age it has some of the lamanation issues along the edges.

But it does have the orginal FordMoCo on it.

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎