X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Steffan
    Apprentice
    • Jan 29 2007

Brass Window Rollers

Hey Greg thanks for the information on the brass rollers and everything else we discussed on the land line. My friend that owns a machine shop made me up a dozen rollers out of brass. We tightened up the tolerances a little bit to match up to what I have and to make a snugger fit. I installed the drivers side last weekend and spent about 5 hrs doing the install and adjustments but it works good. There is about 1/8" difference from top of the driverside window to the bottom so not bad. The quarter window stops in the same spot every time. I took apart the passenger side quarter window and the roller that is supposed to be in the short horizontal track had so much play in it that it fell out of the track. Also the track was bent at the one end. I buffed all the pins and fixed the track as well as the one on the bottom of the window and have it ready to go back in.

I took quite a few pics of the quarter window assembly. If any one needs a view of this let me know.
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Brass Window Rollers

Steffan, if you were to write up the procedures you used to replace those rollers and send me the pix you took, we could turn that into a Technical Tip for the Technical Resource Library! I am sure that could be put to good use by those of us who might have to that in the future.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
      Experienced
      • Jun 2 2010

I am in the process of machining up brass ones also. As you know the rolling mechanism is the main roller, a spring loaded flange and a clip. Did you make the spring loaded flange out of brass also?...Martin
      "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• Dakota Boy
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 30 2009

I only made the roller out of brass. The rest of the metal pieces I stole from the nylon assembly. The left-over nylon roller went in the trash can.
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=33517

Comment

• Steffan
          Apprentice
          • Jan 29 2007

Hi Martin, I just made the rollers out of brass. As for the flange I used the ones off of my original rollers, also I used the flat washer and clip. I found these to be better than the ones you get with the nylon rollers. I used the spring off the nylon roller. The clips I believe are still available through Spanaur. We went with an O.D. on the new roller of .645" a length of .680" and an I.D. of .405" As I say this was to meet what necessary for my application and my friend felt a good close tolerance would be good way to go. One of my pins was a little to tight so I just buffed it down with my die grinder and a 60 grit flap wheel. I also had to open up the I.D. on the inside flange and washer but with a die grinder and a christmas tree bit it took about a minute. We may look into making the inside flange but that will require making a small die set to get the correct flange angle.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎