Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • blue 58
    • Aug 12 2012

Tube to nowhere?

I got under the car for the first time to check things out, and I discovered an open-ended tube with no apparent purpose. It starts at the rear of the intake manifold with an "L fitting, follows the transmission down along the trans. dipstick tube, and then it just stops, open ended, near the transmission pan. Is it supposed to be connected to something? If not, what is it? Here's a pretty good photo of what I am referring to (this is not my car, but you can clearly see the black metal tube exiting the rear of the manifold). Thank you in advance.

Hey Eric,
    That would be draft tube, it is connected to the rear of the intake and as you move it removes any smoke that engine may produce! After car runs for a while (setting) you could possible see a little smoke coming out. Some newer cars would have a tube running to carburetor or intake to re-burn that annoying smoke. There was also a PVC valve inline!
    Richard D. Hord

Comment

• Anders
      Super-Experienced
      • Jan 19 2008

That´s one anoying tube. It spread oil all over the place under the car from it while driving also. Does anyone know ( partnumber ) what to buy and how to connect it back to the engine? Is it possible to connect it to the manifold?
      sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• blue 58
        • Aug 12 2012

Thanks so much. I was afraid it was a vacuume tube. I can deal with some smoke. Thanks again.

Eric

Comment

Originally posted by Anders
          That´s one anoying tube. It spread oil all over the place under the car from it while driving also. Does anyone know ( partnumber ) what to buy and how to connect it back to the engine? Is it possible to connect it to the manifold?
          Hey Anders,
          Here is what I've bought to put in between intake and Carburetor. Hope to get it installed soon and do a little plumbing and add PVC valve!
          Richard D. Hord
          Attached Files

Comment

Choke!

Hey guys, I think you will find that hose to the manifold is for the choke, near the transmission dip stick.
            It takes air from the tube as the exhuast manifold gets hot, sends hot air to the auto choke, which will reduce as it gets hotter. When cold choke will rev bit higher as it gets hot air will reduce.

Cheers.
            Frank.
            Thunder Downunder.

Comment

Engin breather pipe!

Oh!!! I see now, yes thats the engine breather pipe, where the oil filler breather cap is, air passes through it which will allow fumes from the engine to pass via this pipe, the cooling fan at speed will push air through the oil filler cap into the engine and then pass through the engine breather pipe.

Cheers.
              Frank.
              Thunder Downunder.

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Richard D. Hord
                Hey Anders,
                Here is what I've bought to put in between intake and Carburetor. Hope to get it installed soon and do a little plumbing and add PVC valve!
                Richard D. Hord
                Dang! I want that! Can you help me with name & partnumber for that? Also, if you know the correct PVC valve ( partnumber a.s.o ) so I can buy the right parts, it would be swell

Comment

• KULTULZ

There is an excellent Tech Article on this forum that descibes a PCV System upgrade from Road Draft-

Comment

• Anders
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jan 19 2008

Thanks. Just what I need to learn.

Comment

• kuusamon
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 14 2009

hi, look at the thread in FE engines about the fomoco alu intake, some info and pics about pcv setup changes.
                      regards=ron
                      sigpicGreets,
                      Ronald
                      Kuusamo
                      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=1741

Comment

• KULTULZ

There were two styles of PCV used, one for the OEM cast iron intakes and another style for the alum HP series.

Both are shown on the attached photo-

Comment

• Anders
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Jan 19 2008

The most easy way to sort this I guess is to drill a hole in my carburator spacer and connect it there. I found the EV-1 PCV Valve for 1962-1964 Ford Thunderburd here in Sweden, so I guess it will be pretty strait forward operation. I have one question though; Why is it not possible ( or wise ) to connect it at where I have this extra brass bolt in the manifold? See pic.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• KULTULZ

You can source the vacuum signal there but here lies the problem.

The reason they used the carb spacer inlet (other than cost) is you want the crankcase fumes drawn into the carb mounting plenum so that the fumes can be evenly distributed among all cylinders. You can put it there, but cylinders #3 & #4 may draw a greater amount of fumes leading to fouling of those cylinders. You can source it there but maybe will want to monitor those cylinder sparks plugs for awhile for possible fouling.

Comment

• Anders
                              Super-Experienced
                              • Jan 19 2008

Alright! Makes sence. Thanks a lot for the answer. Carburator spacer it is then

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎