X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Bubbles on window frames

Hi guys, i'm having several small corrosion bubbles under the chrome of the front and rear window frames. Re-chroming seems to be difficult, since the material is already not that thick. Did someone already use the spray-on chrome? I saw some videos on you-tube and the end result looks nice, i was only wondering if in real live it also looks nice.
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • Derbird
    • Jul 10 2016

A local place to me does some of the spray chrome and it looks nice. The owner says it is expensive and if the part doesn't need body work chrome is cheaper and more durable.

Comment

• Tbird1044
      Super-Experienced
      • Jul 31 2012

Hi Frank:
      I am assuming that you talking about the wind wing assembly in the front door and the 1/4 window frame in the rear.
      I had all of these assemblies rechromed, but it was quite expensive to have them done. I checked my receipts and it was $700 to do all 4 assemblies ($175 each). There are not a lot of chrome companies left here and it's even harder to find one that will still work with pot metal parts.
      There is also the issue of removing the frame assemblies from the car. The front wing wind assemblies are not to bad to get out, but the rear 1/4 glass assemblies can be a real pain. There was just a thread about doing the 1/4 window actuators.
      I also thought about doing the spray on chrome but ultimately decided against it. If you have someone there that does it, you may give it a try on one window and see how it goes. Then you could let us know how it worked out. I'm not sure if you would have to pull the window assemblies or not to have it done.
      Nyles

Comment

• OX1
        Super-Experienced
        • Feb 10 2016

I had some plastic pieces spray chromed. This grill
        (for my dads 84 LTD) was $600, but each of the little
        squares in grill had to sanded, and then sprayed 3 times.

I also had some PW switch covers done, as you
        can only buy them in all black for fox mustangs.

Here they are with outer edges spray chromed.

These were $55 each

So it can be done pretty nice in spray, but
        very expensive and even the guy that does it claims
        not as durable as real chrome (but that car is
        garaged and a show car only, so was not worried
        about weather related and/or normal long term issues).

So if you cannot find anyone to do real chrome,
        the spray is an option.
        59-430-HT

Comment

• Frango100
          Experienced
          • May 2 2016

Thanks for the answers guys.
          Yes Nyles, its indeed the wind wings who have the bubbles on the aft sides. I will see if i can find someone who does the chroming here. But regarding the painting, here they show that you can do it yourself. And i saw a you-tube video where the guy was showing painting some motor cycle parts and the end results looked very nice.
          Very limited time to work on the Bird unfortunately, just started the removal of the transmission for the overhaul.
          sigpicFrank

Comment

• Deanj
            Super-Experienced
            • Nov 26 2015

Let us know how you do. I have a right rear window frame that's rusting on the chromed piece which is at the lowest forward spot. (It seems there should be an appearance repair available so everything doesn't have to be taken apart.)

Choices seem to be find an LKQ frame, repair and re-chrome, or "spot chrome" it somehow.

Dean

Comment

• JohnG
              John
              • Jul 28 2003

what about tracking down an excellent condition, used part?

The re-chroming can be chancey . . . no guarantees. Some shops take forever. Pot metal is a tough one.

They ( high grade used) might not exist but no harm in taking a shot at it.

Just some thoughts . . .

john
              1958 Hardtop
              #8452 TBird Registry
              http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
              history:
              http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Frango100
                Experienced
                • May 2 2016

Originally posted by JohnG
                what about tracking down an excellent condition, used part?

The re-chroming can be chancey . . . no guarantees. Some shops take forever. Pot metal is a tough one.

They ( high grade used) might not exist but no harm in taking a shot at it.

Just some thoughts . . .

john
                I did some search on e-bay, but only found one in worse condition then mine for $ 299,00.
                Carl Heller has a set of newly chromed for $ 350 each i believe.I will try first over here to get it re-chromed, that should be cheaper.
                sigpicFrank

Comment

• JohnG
                  John
                  • Jul 28 2003

Ebay: often junk sold by people using ignorance as an excuse to provide you with no information. Feedback very helpful but only goes back so far.

Carl: I doubt you can do any better.

Rechroming: sure, get it rechromed. What will you have in 2 years? That's the challenge.

If you're going the re-chrome route, find a serious restoration shop in your area and ask them who they have do chrome work.
                  When a shop sends a car back to the owner, the quality of the work is on them, not whoever they subcontracted to. So they will depend on having it done well.

And never forget: pot metal is a different ballgame than steel. Whoever you find better have experience and expertise with it, or you are wasting your money (and labor) no matter the price.
                  1958 Hardtop
                  #8452 TBird Registry
                  http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                  history:
                  http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  🥰
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎