No announcement yet.

62 Thunderbird engine removal

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

62 Thunderbird engine removal

Is it possible to remove/install 390 engine and transmission as a unit?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Yes, as far as I know that's the way the factory installed them.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Yadkin
      Banned
      • Aug 11 2012

Yes. There is a thread on this site describing how to install that way

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

The factory had one guy in a pit under the car, guiding the tail shaft into position while the guy on top ran the hoist and shook the engine side-to-side. The guy underneath also guided the motor mount studs into position.

They 'stuffed' a car per minute using this technique. Of course, there is a 'learning curve' but after doing 500 cars per shift it doesn't take long to work together and to know what 'the other guy' will do next.

When the engine and trans are out of the car, all the bolts are easily accessed. The starter motor was in place as well as the exhaust manifolds.

If one of the engines was bad (wouldn't start) two guys would manually change four engines (max) on a hoist per shift. This took much longer because they prepped the engine for removal by detaching the exhaust pipes, cooling hoses, radiator, linkage, etc. So, assembly goes much faster. That's why the engine plant started and ran each engine before it got to Wixom Assembly. - Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Dave, I find your historical recollections of the factory fascinating. Keep at it!

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Steve, Assembly workers make it look easy. No motions are wasted and they learn exactly where to 'bump' things in order for the engine & trans to seemingly slip right in place.

It's kinda like watching how easy Michael Jordan shoots hoops with 'nothing but net'. Now, YOU try it.

Another part of this always fascinated me: Some folks think Assemblers make too much money. At $25/hr divided by 60 cars, that's less than fifty cents per car. Let's double or quadruple the money just for argument... they're still stuffing engines for less than $2 per car. Now, offer a mechanic to drop an engine and trans in your car for two bucks and see what looks you get. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎