X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frango100
    Experienced
    • May 2 2016

Neutral safety switch

My neutral safety switch is not working properly and I found one of the contacts partly loose. Maybe that some glue or silicone could keep it in place, but I was looking for a new switch. I found one on e-bay for USD 60. Is that a good price?
    sigpicFrank
    1958 T-Bird "Trovão Rosa" - "Rose Thunder"
    Thunderbird registry #61670
  • Tbird1044
    Super-Experienced
    • Jul 31 2012

I can't tell the condition of your switch, but looking at pictures of the switch, the terminals are riveted to the switch. If one of the contacts is just loose, I would back up the rivet head and tap the opposite side of the rivet to tighten it. It would be worth a try. A blunt center punch could be used to try and tighten the rivet.
    Nyles

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Neutral safety switch

Frank, if you can't fix it, check out the Bird Nest. They have it for $44.95. Maybe some of the other Tbird parts house in the Advertisements Forum might beat that price. If you don't mind a good used one, send Carl Heller ~ partsetal a Private Message. Carl ships Squarebirds parts all over the world.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
        Administrator
        • May 26 2009

When buying a neutral switch for your Squarebird, know that some cars had no reverse light but others did.

Get a switch with four terminals (wires), whether your car has reverse lights or not.

C0SF 7A217-A or the earlier number: B8S 7A217-A

- Dave
        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
          Experienced
          • May 2 2016

Thanks all for the help. I don´t remember if I had this problem from the beginning, but when I have my lights on and I put the transmission lever to D1, the starter motor is momentarily activated. On a running engine that gives a nice clunk and can´t be good for the teeth on the flywheel.
          If I adjust the switch a bit, I won´t have backup lights. I will see if I can fasten the contact. If that fails, I will buy another switch.
          sigpicFrank

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

The safety neutral switch is a complete disconnect between the ignition switch and the starter solenoid unless you are in "Neutral" or "Park". If the car starter activates in D1, either the switch is out of adjustment or the shift linkage is sloppy and loose which can cause this issue. I'm not exactly sure what the issue is.
            Nyles

Comment

• Frango100
              Experienced
              • May 2 2016

With the lights on, power from the back-up lights is going to the starter solenoid via the contacts in the Neutral switch, while moving the shift lever. The contacts on the shifter shaft look ok, so the problem must be with the Neutral switch contact.
              sigpicFrank

Comment

• Tbird1044
                Super-Experienced
                • Jul 31 2012

It sounds like one of the contacts on the switch is loose enough that it rotated and is making an electrical connection to one of the other contacts. If you can align the contacts like in the picture and tighten the rivet so it will stay in place, you should be fine. If not, time for a new switch.
                Nyles
                Attached Files

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Frango100
                  With the lights on, power from the back-up lights is going to the starter solenoid via the contacts in the Neutral switch, while moving the shift lever. The contacts on the shifter shaft look ok, so the problem must be with the Neutral switch contact.
                  NO! (Nyles may be right).

Starter Solenoid power BEGINS at the key switch ('S' terminal), and only when the key is turned to the far right.

If your starter solenoid energizes without the key switch turned, you must have a short circuit. Power is coming from somewhere. Crack out the meter or test light and trace power at the neutral switch (red/blue wires). Again, there should be no power on either wire until the key is turned.

This circuit is VERY simple because it is ONE wire. It goes from the key switch, through the neutral switch, passes through a plug/receptacle and ends at the starter solenoid. It shouldn't go anywhere else. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Frango100
                    Experienced
                    • May 2 2016

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                    NO! (Nyles may be right).

Starter Solenoid power BEGINS at the key switch ('S' terminal), and only when the key is turned to the far right.

If your starter solenoid energizes without the key switch turned, you must have a short circuit. Power is coming from somewhere. Crack out the meter or test light and trace power at the neutral switch (red/blue wires). Again, there should be no power on either wire until the key is turned.

This circuit is VERY simple because it is ONE wire. It goes from the key switch, through the neutral switch, passes through a plug/receptacle and ends at the starter solenoid. It shouldn't go anywhere else. - Dave
                    With all due respect Dave, but the starter only engages for a split second when the lights are on and the shifter is moved to D. No lights, no problem. With the lights on, power is waiting at the Neutral switch to go to the back-up lights, as soon as the shifter is in Reverse. This power must be the reason for the starter to engage. I will remove the Neutral switch and try to find out how this can happen.

sigpicFrank

Comment

• jopizz
                      Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by Frango100
                      With all due respect Dave, but the starter only engages for a split second when the lights are on and the shifter is moved to D. No lights, no problem. With the lights on, power is waiting at the Neutral switch to go to the back-up lights, as soon as the shifter is in Reverse. This power must be the reason for the starter to engage. I will remove the Neutral switch and try to find out how this can happen.

Since the backup lights only work with the lights turned on then you must have a short in your neutral switch. That's a serious situation that could ruin your starter drive or worse, your flexplate if it happens with the engine running. I would fix it right away.

John
                      John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
                      jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      🥰
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎