X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yellow98cobra
    Experienced
    • May 28 2012

I removed the back seat today...

When I laid the back down I saw a little yellowed piece of paper tucked into the springs...
    Attached Files
    Yellow98Cobra
    1960 Thunderbird HT
    Data plt# 63A Z 56 15 H 3 4
    There are 4 pictures of her here, plus a couple of my namesake.
    http://squarebirds.org/yellow98cobra/resized/
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Congratulations, Eric! I see your found your ROT/Build Sheet and it looks to be in pretty good condition. Put it in a document protector or plastic to preserve it. See, you found it where many others have. In the rear seat springs!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• arizonajack
      Experienced
      • Oct 15 2013

Scan it to your computer, too.

Comment

• tbird430
        Super-Experienced
        • Jun 18 2007

SCORE!! Another rare find!!

Congrats!

-Jon in TX
        sigpic
        The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• DKheld
          Super-Experienced
          • Aug 27 2008

Nice!!

That's exactly where I found mine.

As Arizonajack mentions I have scanned mine and print out a copy to take to the cruise-in's etc. Leave the "real thing" at home.

Looks like our cars were "scheduled" for production about 8 days apart. Guess that makes you my older brother....

Eric

Comment

• Tbird1044
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 31 2012

Since I don't have a chance in H*ll of ever finding a ROT sheet for my car, looking at yours made me have some questions.
            1. Were the ROT sheets generic for more than one car?
            2. One item shows EDL (electric door locks) I didn't think they were ever offered on TBirds.
            3. Another item says Pwr Lub. What is that?
            4. It looks like they may have offered upgrades on the Battery and Shocks?
            5. I see you had w/s washers. Do they still work?? LOL
            Nyles

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

The same sheet was used for Lincolns' which is why you see options that weren't available on Thunderbirds.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

Comment

• simplyconnected
                Administrator
                • May 26 2009

"Production Broadcast Tickets" were teletyped the day these cars were assembled. In all my years at Ford, I never heard the term, 'ROT sheet'. This one was printed for the 'FINAL ASSY DEPT', and specifically for the seating guys who built up several sets of seats before the car arrived at the seat installation station on the line. The build-up guys stuffed this sheet in the seat so the guy on the line could verify the match between the car and the seat. Each car had a three-digit rotation number, plainly visible to line workers from afar. That number was on-going from day to day but the 'thousand' place dropped off, not at the end of a shift or day but after the 999th car.

Notice the current date (Aug 18th), then notice the scheduled date (Aug 25th). This car was assembled a week earlier than the scheduled date. Why? Because the scheduled date is arbitrary (for dealership info) but the build date is specific, depending on the car bodies that arrived from Budd's Body Shop (with VIN numbers) to Wixom's dock. These bodies are un-painted so they had to come in order, not to be stored outside.

This blank form was printed for Wixom by Ford's Reprographics Dept. It is MD (Mercury Division) 16005-2 for WIX in June 59. Other Ford assembly plants were at liberty to use it as well but they normally had their own.

Wixom built two models that were very different from each other, and the option boxes on this form allow for such deviation. For instance, look at the third line:
                RVM is for the outside rear view mirror. Thunderbirds were not assembled with them but Lincolns may have had power or manual outside mirrors, LH, RH or both.
                SB is for Seat Belts, PD for positraction differential, RM for rocker molding, FS-WC for full-size wheel covers (again, Lincoln had options).

Something caught my eye that I nearly forgot about. In the second line is a "PL" for Power Lube. Ford tried an automatic lube option in an effort to make the car as 'maintenance-free' as possible, but only on high-end cars. It didn't last long.
                Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Dave, thanks for the additional amplification of the "Production Broadcast Ticket" or ROT/Build Sheet. I have nooo idea at what point in the history of this sheet did someone give it the ROT (for Rotation) or Build Sheet names. Some years ago, Tom Maruska of the Tbird Square website, documented the breakdown of a 1962 PBT and explained what each block meant, as best as his research could provide. You can find that on his website, in his Technical section. http://www.reocities.com/tpls63/technical/1962rot.html

Many people do not know that Lincolns were also produced on the Wixom line back then. Hence, as Dave and Tom explain, the items that apply to Lincolns, but not Tbirds.

Thanks for the explanation about the "PL" item. I have wondered about that myself in the past. I might have heard that explanation in the past, but if so, probably forgot it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                  The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                  Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                  https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Lincoln cars were totally built in Wixom. Meaning, Lincoln sheet metal floor pans started assembly at Wixom's Body Shop.

The Squarebird's Body Shop was at Budd Co., in Detroit. Wixom's first operation started in the Paint Dept. That meant the VIN numbers were done at Budd. One location is under the cowl top.

Normally, we assign VIN numbers in the Body Shop. Before production starts, a guy from the Scheduling Dept., comes down with a tray of more data plates than cars that will be produced for that shift. When convertibles are made, there are never two in a row. Depending on orders, about every third or fourth car can be a convertible.

So, the Body Shop makes the platforms first, then they attach a data plate when the body is nearly finished but before Paint.

This business of trucking car bodies from a remote location is an added, complicated and unnecessary headache. That's why Ford went back to building their own Thunderbirds.
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎