Clear All

Priced a windsheild for my 58 this week, ouch

They told me, yes we can get one, cost is 950 plus installation

Does that sound about right?
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Priced a windsheild for my 58 this week, ouch

I think they have repro windshields for $750, used ones for about $600. I don't recall how much the gasket is. It is a simple install, but it is a two person job. A thin greased rope is placed in the installed gasket and the windshield is placed on the gasket. The windshield is held onto the gasket by one person, while the other pulls the rope out so the lip of the gasket goes over the glass. The instructions are in the shop manual.

Be aware that some of the repro windshields are missing the curve from the cowl to the roof. They look like 1957 windshields.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Installation sounds just like the rear window I help a friend with on his 56 BelAir.

Comment

• 6TB1RD
        Experienced
        • Apr 9 2006

I found a seller on Ebay $500.00 starting bid. plus $180. freight to Ca.
        Looks like a good deal :7

I asked a window place about replacing the gasket around the windsheld, the first thing I was told was we are not responsable if we brake the windsheld, (goodby) x(
        George (Papa of 9)
        1960 H/T :rolleyes:
        Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
        http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
        sigpic

Comment

So what years does that window cover 58~61? I looked on ebay and didn't see anything, so much for my searching skills.

I am new to the TBird game, loving the car the more I work on it, except the soft suspension, kinda feels mushy :'(

Comment

Okay, never mind I found it...thanks for the tip by the way.

Comment

• Alexander
              Webmaster
              • Oct 30 2002

Most glass places absolve themselves of responsibility when replacing this kind of windshield. If you think about it, most glass places have no experience installing glass like this since cars have rarely used gasket type windshields or back glass in the last 40 years. Most glass is just glued in.

You will will be more careful and have more patience than the glass installer. Plan, take it slow, and do not force anything, and you will not crack the windshield. If you helped your friend put in a back window for his Bel-Air you have probably have more experience than your local glass place.

Grease the gasket groove with silicone grease and use a nylon cord and everything will go well. I used my mother as an assistant once for putting in the back window of my 1959. Believe me, she was not a profession glass installer.

The front and back windows are unique to 1958-60 Thunderbirds.

Alexander
              1959 Hardtop
              1960 Golde Top
              Alexander
              1959 Hard Top
              1960 Golde Top
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢