No announcement yet.

Removing Oil Filter

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing Oil Filter

I recently aquired a '59 conv. with a '66 390 in it. I tried to remove the oil filter for the first time this weekend with no luck. I have used two different types of oil wrenches, but it doesn't even budge and it is beginning to look like a stomped on tin can.

I can't see a good way of getting a cold chisel at the top to knock off.

I am thinking the easiest way may be to remove the oil filter thingey from the block and remove it on the bench.

Not sure if there is anything else I should try first, or what sort of trouble I would be getting into removing the filter housing from the block.

Any thoughts appreciated......

• Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: Removing Oil Filter

I think you would have more of a mechanical advantage leaving the filter adapter on the motor.

The most aggressive type of oil wrench you can use is this situation looks like a pliers. Even if the outside can is broken off, the situation is not hopeless. You may be able to use a screwdriver and a hammer to get the oil filter to turn counter-clockwise using the drain holes of the filter as your leverage points.

If you want to remove the oil filter adapter from the engine, it is not an involved procedure. Four bolts and it comes off. All you need to do is get a new gasket to re-install it. Worse comes to worse, you can get a new oil filter adapter.

You might want to go to this site to see what other frustrated people had to say about removing their oil filters. The webmaster there even posts his own patented oil filer remover that you can make yourself.

Discover the latest breaking news in the U.S. and around the world — politics, weather, entertainment, lifestyle, finance, sports and much more.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

Working...
    😀
    🥰
    🤢