Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeepers94
    • Sep 16 2010

Replacing window fuzzies

Does anyone have a tip on the replacement of the window fuzzy weatherstrip? I replaced my door panels in my 61 convert. The strips on the door panels was easy.The ones on the doors are driving me crazy! It looks like I have to remove the windows, and the vent unit. I may have to take it to a body shop,but most say it will be 2 weeks to get to it. With temps near 80,I don't want to lose the chance of driving my bird that long!
  • Alan H. Tast, AIA
    Experienced
    • Jan 5 2008

Originally posted by jeepers94
    Does anyone have a tip on the replacement of the window fuzzy weatherstrip? I replaced my door panels in my 61 convert. The strips on the door panels was easy.The ones on the doors are driving me crazy! It looks like I have to remove the windows, and the vent unit. I may have to take it to a body shop,but most say it will be 2 weeks to get to it. With temps near 80,I don't want to lose the chance of driving my bird that long!
    You'll want to drop the windows below the belt line of the door by removing the lower stops, take the clips out for the rollers and drop down into the cavity of the door. Then remove the fuzzies and replace with either staples, pop rivets, etc. Reverse the procedure to get the window hooked up to the regulator arms and adjust the stops to keep the window from going down too far. If this sounds too easy it probably means I've left out some of the intracacies of how it all goes together, which means some quality time studying the shop manual and assembly manuals is in order.
    Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
    Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
    Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• jeepers94
      • Sep 16 2010

Unfortunatly,it is harder! For some strange reason Ford made the fuzzy go all the way across the door. It goes under the vent assembly,so you have to remove that.The
      only way I can see getting that out is to remove the window,and slide the vent unit into the window area to pull it out. If they would have stopped at the vent window,it would be a real easy job.

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
        Experienced
        • Jan 5 2008

You're right - I had forgotten the need to remove the vent window assembly. You'd be well advised to remove the vent window assembly in order to reline its channel at the same time you're replacing the belt line weatherstrip, as its usually deteriorated if nothing else has been replaced. Removal of the vent window frame can be complicated by the two J-type nuts breaking loose when you go to remove the two bolts at the top of the door. You may want to have a hacksaw blade handy. And I HIGHLY recommend you get the Shop Manual and Body/Trim Assembly manuals to study how it all goes together.
        Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
        Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
        Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎