No announcement yet.

4 speed toploader in a 60' bird...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

4 speed toploader in a 60' bird...

Hi everyone I'm new to this forum but I am the proud owner of a corinthian white 60' hardtop. I have warmed up the FE under my hood and was wondering if anyone here has heard or completed a 4 speed toploader swap into a 60' bird. I am planning on using a clutch pedal assembly (if I can find one) from a standard transmission 60' bird. I'm using the shifter assembly out of a 64' galaxie to stay period correct as I want this swap to look as factory as possible. Any comments, ideas and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Erik

RE: 4 speed toploader in a 60' bird...

hi
    yes, i have had a 4spd in a squarebird. its a lot of fun. you will need a 4spd toploader or t-10 from a full size ford to get the lenghts right so you can use a driveshaft from sq. bird. i used a clutch pedal from a 1965 full size ford. the frame is already drilled / tapped for the ball support for your clutch eq bar but i had to modified a support to bolt to the eng. side, easy to do. you will have to modify the shifter. the shifter came thru where the console and heater controls meet, i then bent it back to save my knuckles for those hard shifts. I started out with a t-10 from a 1964 galaxie and later because the 428 i was using was toooooo much went to a 1971 cyclone 429 cu toploader with the big 1 3/8 input shaft. I think i used the same yoke for both transmissions. the 4 spd along with the 428 bal. crane blazer cam and 3 X 2 set up made the car really light. 60 mph in first gear everyday with pedal to spare. I did have to chain down the motor to keep the clutch from slipping in 3rd and 4th. and with all that i got 16 mpg. I had a unquie linkage setup for the carbs opening all of them together thru a cam setup that gave me 25% travel on the carbs to 50% on the pedal and 75%carb to the last 50% on the pedal. if i had the money for the trans i would do it again. Makes for a real nice sleeper, shake some vettes up.
    later
    mark
    1960 conv.

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

A 60 TBird with a 428 and a 4 Speed ????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      COOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

________
      Creampie Interracial
      Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:07 AM.

Comment

• ayrwoof
        Experienced
        • Apr 4 2005

toploader sounds nice i like it. While your at it look up
        bell tellephone van for its top loader and all important
        (4 on the TREE shifter ) it got those heavy vans rollin
        well . dave..

Comment

HI
          All kidding aside, the T-10 has reverse in the back case / seperate lever, so of course you could do the forward speeds on the col. and reverse with a cable, but if you already have a col. man. trans in your tbird i would'nt change a thang.
          later
          mark, 1960 tbird conv.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎