No announcement yet.

352 engine parts

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

352 engine parts

Based on the research I have done,is it safe to assume that the 352 is a Big Block and that for the most part it will accept parts form a 390,427,428?

I am new to classic fords and have gotten a little confused on this whole topic.

I plan to rebiuld my engine this winter and am wondering what aftermarket performance parts will work. As always thanks.
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

RE: 352 engine parts

They are the same basic block. There was camshaft retension change in 1963. There were changes in the motor mount bolts and exhaust manifold bolts over the years, along with other small changes.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 28 2004

My 69 "Mach 1 issue" 390 has had the 352 "Interceptor" heads on it since 1972. Problem is with today's gas, when I rebuild it, the compression ratio will be too high. So I will have to find a way to lower it to about 9:00-1. But, in answer to your question, the block is externally identical. It even has the #'s 352 cast right in it. So does a 428CJ. It looks totally stock. Overall, the 390 is the best running. Plenty of power, torque and bulletproof. Mine's at 175K now and still runs strong. It will use a quart of oil in 200 miles though.

John

________
      Kissing advice dicussion
      Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

>My 69 "Mach 1 issue" 390 has had the 352 "Interceptor" heads
        >on it since 1972. Problem is with today's gas, when I
        >rebuild it, the compression ratio will be too high. So I
        >will have to find a way to lower it to about 9:00-1. But, in
        >answer to your question, the block is externally identical.
        >It even has the #'s 352 cast right in it. So does a 428CJ.
        >It looks totally stock. Overall, the 390 is the best
        >running. Plenty of power, torque and bulletproof. Mine's at
        >175K now and still runs strong. It will use a quart of oil
        >in 200 miles though.
        >
        Perhaps I should retain the 390 that's in mine then. I was thinking about going with a late model fuel injected Police engine with an OD tranny.

Does anyone know what late model OD trannys might bolt up to an older (67) 390? I know there's a company out there that makes adaptor plates for this sort of thing, but I'd like to stay away from "speciality parts."

Comment

• byersmtrco
          Super-Experienced
          • Sep 28 2004

That could be a can of worms, using a late model FI mtr. According to my homework, dropping the C6 with the lower 1-2 gear ratio's and running a 2:73? rr/end is the best bet. It'll still cruise nice at 75 mph and have some Git off the line (And for the most part look original.

________
          Mary Jane
          Last edited by byersmtrco; April 5, 2011, 11:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢
          😎
          😡
          👍
          👎