This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 12-22-2009, 11:02 AM

dfitz176 is on a distinguished road

I eventually do want to convert to disc, and to that end I have a '75 granada in a friend's field I plan to strip this spring, but for now I am EXTREMELY budget conscience. I must ask tho, what year mustang parts are you using, and are they all just bolt on? What mods did you need to make?
Old 12-22-2009, 03:20 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

There are no changes to the car. Just swap the spindles with Granada spindles. You will need to open the bottom ball joint tapered hole on your Granada spindles to accept the larger T-bird ball joint. (I just bought a reamer for that purpose.)

Granada spindles are 11" - perfect for your T-bird. If you add a power booster and the Granada proportioning valve, those brakes will put you through the windshield. I have that exact setup on my '55 Customline.

If your Granada has wheels, use them too. Seems all the T-bird guys like to stay with 14" wheels. If you cannot get real Granada wheels, you may need to cut the snout on the rotor down to 2.5", to fit the centers of other Ford disk brake wheels.

My 1955 Customline came with 15" wheels. The more premium Fairlane came with 16", so caliper clearance is never a problem for me. I did have my rotor snouts turned down to my original drum dimension (2.5"). The machinist only charged me $15, he said, "because I have a classic Ford."

I don't know how much you drive your T-bird, but if you use those Granada disk brakes, you will be amazed how well your car stops. It's not a small difference, it is huge.

Take those parts off the Granada and rebuild the calipers yourself (I did mine). They only have two neoprene parts to replace. For ten bucks you can rebuild both rotors, using a compressor to pop out the pistons.

Check out this instruction file for retrofitting a Mustang. <-click here.
This will give you an idea of what to do. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 12-22-2009, 05:49 PM

Thanks for the info, I can't wait to get started! I'm actually just getting started on the Tbird, I just pulled it out of a 30 year barn nap. It's also my first full resto project so I hope I don't cobble it up. I have very limited resources right now but I'm not in a hurry. It runs but of course needs a complete redo. It's cold here now, and after the infestation of brown recluse spiders and the complete, intact 4 foot snakeskin I pulled from under the dash, my wife doesn't want it in the garage. So, I look to spring to really get started. This winter is research, planning and parts aquistion. Merry Christmas!
Old 12-22-2009, 09:10 PM
Experienced

Yellowbird is on a distinguished road

What? No sense of adventure? Here's true car / snake story. The night before I am to get married, I chased a water snake up the hill from the lake. The snake crawls up underneath my '67 Mustang (for the car guys, it was a 289, 3-speed, a/c, p/s, p/b, blue with white vinyl top). Anyway, several hours later, driving down the highway, this snake starts crawling up through the cowling onto the windshield. I set a record for the shortest stopping distance from 60 mph! This snake had rode for almost 40 miles somewhere in the car. The only damage to the interior was where I tore it up trying to get out of the car!
I hope you and your family have a Merry Christmas and a snake-less New Year!

Leonard
Old 12-28-2009, 09:18 PM

Ha! If that was me and my fiance was with me I would not be married today, as she would have lept from the car! The snakes don't bother me as much as the fiddleback spiders, those things are wicked! What will spring bring?