No announcement yet.

352 to 390

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

352 to 390

Ok, I am putting in a 390 that was from a 73-76 ford f series truck. I know that going to the newer model starter will require me to change the flywheel, but is there anything else to be wary of when matching the newer engine to the cruise o matic? he did change the oil filter alignment to work for a car as opposed to the truck, and it is a front sump pan. I just want to get as much as possible worked out before I switch it all. Thanks, and if there is more information needed, let me know. Pretty novice, so am a bit nervous about screwing simple things up by not knowing they are an issue ahead of time.
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

You shouldn't have any problem joining the block to the transmission. The block is basically identical to the 352. Going to the newer flexplate and starter is a wise move. Hopefully you got the alternator also.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Yes, getting a new alternator

was the reason for some other changes. Still figuring out which bracket and pulleys to use since this was a later model engine.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by HD1960
        was the reason for some other changes. Still figuring out which bracket and pulleys to use since this was a later model engine.
        It's important to match the water pump with the correct pulley. Squarebirds used the long shaft pump with the longer pulley. The later 390's used the shorter shaft pump with the narrower pulley. That 390 probably used the high mount alternator brackets. I think either pump/pulley combo will line up.

John

Comment

Intake?

I know the intake is a good bit different, did they no longer run coolant through the intake in the 70's 390's?

Comment

• jopizz
            Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Coolant is always run through the intake. They no longer ran the coolant through the carburetor base after about '65. There's has always been a coolant port in front of the carburetor on FE intakes. If you have something different I'd like to see it.

John

Comment

Sorry

Originally posted by jopizz
              Coolant is always run through the intake. They no longer ran the coolant through the carburetor base after about '65. There's has always been a coolant port in front of the carburetor on FE intakes. If you have something different I'd like to see it.

John
              Was thinking of the base. Just looking at the two side by side and trying to figure out what hoses will end up where on the new one and looking pretty different on the intakes. As stated, I am pretty new at this stuff, and want to make sure I am not screwing it up from the get go.....

Comment

• jopizz
                Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

It's pretty straightforward; the upper hose from the heater core goes to the water pump, the lower hose goes to the intake manifold.

John

Comment

Working...
                😀
                🥰
                🤢
                😎
                😡
                👍
                👎