• Show
Clear All
  • 59thunder
    Experienced
    • Jul 14 2006

352 Pcv Valve

HI, can any one give suggest a part number for a inline pcv valve

i have a 80670 holley carb and edelbrock valve covers

i would like to run an inline pcv from the push on valve cap to the pcv port on the carb

According to all the FE web sites you need the correct one

Thanks Tony
  • klattu
    • Aug 18 2011

You may pull from the valve covers and put a filtered breather on the other side, but be sure to block or filter your vent tube, or it would pull in dirty air with a PCV valve on the valve cover.
    1959 Thunderbird HT

Comment

• 6TB1RD
      Experienced
      • Apr 9 2006

PCV on my 60

I have my PCV coming from the down draft tube on the back of the intake manifold going to the vacuum port on the back side of the carb. If you look at the pictures on my Squarebird you will se the set up.

Any 60's PCV will work from your local auto parts dealer

I have a 60 intake sitting on a 61 block and heads.
      George (Papa of 9)
      1960 H/T :rolleyes:
      Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
      http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
      sigpic

Comment

• 59thunder
        Experienced
        • Jul 14 2006

Thanks, i have an Edelbrock 2105 Performer manifold which has no down draft tube , I want to put an inline PCV valve from one valve cover to the PCV port and the base of my 80670 670cfm Avenger Holley Carb

The valve breather cap is an Edelbrock 4410 with an 1/2 barb.....

I have been unable to locate the correct PCV valve

Help

Tony

Comment

• 6TB1RD
          Experienced
          • Apr 9 2006

SquareBirds did not have a PCV valve

PCV's did not come out till the mid 60' so there is not really a correct one to put on her get one from a mid 60' they were threaded.

I believe some time in the 70's went to the push in threaded then you can just push it in to the 1/2 inch vacuum lines.

Looking at the picture on my home page I believe this was the way they were put in (looking at the back side of the engine you will see the PCV mount) and then run the line to the vent on your valve cover insted of the down draft tube.

my set up
          64 Block from a 1/2 ton pu
          61 heads from 352 tbird
          61 intake from 352 tbird
          6? valve covers from ford.

George
          Last edited by 6TB1RD; September 25, 2011, 10:43 AM.
          George (Papa of 9)
          1960 H/T :rolleyes:
          Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
          sigpic

Comment

• simplyconnected
            Administrator
            • May 26 2009

Originally posted by 59thunder
            ...According to all the FE web sites you need the correct one...
            A host of PCV valves will work just fine. This all makes perfect sense if you know how a PCV valve works.

First, it's a check valve and it usually has an arrow showing direction of flow. Let's take this a little deeper. If your engine backfires, you sure don't want raw fuel mixture injected into your block.

Rattling a PCV is NOT a good indication that it works because the internal spring may simply be broken.

When you blow hard into the wrong end, flow should stop. Blowing with the arrow, flow should slow down but continue.

PCV's work the same way in all engines. The only important choice is to pick one from an engine about the same size as yours. If you have a 352, get one for a Ford 351 (either one) or get one for a Chevy 350, or a Chrysler 340.

Mounting comes in a variety of ways. Some screwed into the intake manifold or carburetor spacer, some were clamped with hoses on both sides, some fit into rubber grommets either on a valve cover or valley pan. Make a determination as to your mounting choice and buy the appropriate valve with the correct direction of flow. It's that simple.

The first (passive) crankcase ventillation used a simple hose that ran from a rocker cover oil cap to the air cleaner. They stuck a co**** filter inside the air cleaner where the hose entered. This method managed to re-burn crankcase gasses but it didn't circulate fresh air around the block.

If you go with a vacuum PCV, make sure you have an inlet for fresh air to circulate, otherwise the PCV valve could actually cause your rings to blowby even more. This isn't good for your rear seal, either. The PCV valve needs a baffle or an 'oil box' to prevent motor oil from sucking into your intake. Valve location will determine if this is an issue.

For your application, I would try using the draft tube as an INLET, and use a valve cover with a grommet for the valve. Once your PCV is working properly, all those engine smells will disappear from your garage. Hope this helps. - Dave
            Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
            --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• KULTULZ

Originally posted by 59thunder

HI, can any one give suggest a part number for a inline pcv valve

i have a 80670 holley carb and edelbrock valve covers

i would like to run an inline pcv from the push on valve cap to the pcv port on the carb

According to all the FE web sites you need the correct one

Thanks Tony
              You have oil filler holes in the rocker covers?

If you want one that draws through the rocker cover (push-in) (some are screw-in - brass fitting), source one from say a 68/ FE and the needed grommet.

The reason you are reading PCV valves are unique to different engine sizes is the size of the opening orifice. If too large, it will lean the fuel mixture and if too small, richen the mixture. You have to be able to balance the carb after the installation. Read the plugs to ascertain proper mixture. In extreme case you may need to re-jet.

You can either use the oil fill opening on the opposing rocker cover for an open element filler cap - close it off (with proper grommet) - use only the intake oil fill tube (open filtered cap) or any combination. It has to have a source of fresh air to function.

As mentioned, be sure the rocker cover you choose to use has a baffle under the filler opening hole or it will suck splash oil and/or vapors.

Try for MOTORCRAFT or a good brand name as there are cheapos out there that will fit anything (or so they say).

Comment

Working...
              😀
              🥰
              🤢
              😎
              😡
              👍
              👎