X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alexander
    Webmaster
    • Oct 30 2002

Ford cutting many jobs

This is really depressing. Ford and GM are dramatically scaling back their operations and I do not believe this is the end of the companies downsizing. Are we witnessing the death of the last American car companies? Is what will be left of GM and Ford will be design companies that license logos, designs and parts of of cars they made in the past? Unfortunately is becoming old-fashioned and passe to purchase an American car in America. This year I think is the turning point for these companies, where consumers now view them as dying giants and shy away from buying their products because they do not want to buy an car that will be orphaned. Studebaker was in business over a hundred years and ended up with the same fate in the 1960's.

DETROIT (Reuters) - Ford Motor Co. (NYSE:F - news) plans to cut 25,000 to 30,000 jobs in North America within five years and close at least 10 plants, according to a report in the Detroit News on Wednesday.

The No. 2 U.S. automaker will also announce the departure of up to seven top executives in coming weeks, the newspaper said, citing people familiar with the plan.

Ford has said it would announce a comprehensive restructuring plan in January that aims to restore North American operations to profitability.

The plan in the report appears to be more aggressive than expected. Analysts had forecast that Ford would shutter four assembly plants in North America.

Last month, Ford, whose shares edged higher in midday trade, said it planned to eliminate 4,000 salaried jobs, or 10 percent of its North American white-collar work force, as part of a turnaround plan dubbed the "Way Forward."

Last month its larger rival General Motors Corp. (NYSE:GM - news) announced plans to slash 30,000 manufacturing jobs and close a dozen North American plants. Both automakers are struggling against high costs and increased Japanese competition.

Ford spokesman Oscar Suris on Wednesday reiterated that the company will announce its restructuring plan in January. It is still being developed, he said, declining to comment on possible plant closings, job losses and management changes.

Ford Chairman and Chief Executive Bill Ford Jr. has said the plan would include "significant plant closings" but has declined to elaborate. The extent of the restructuring has been the subject of widespread speculation.

FORD DIRECTORS TO MEET WEDNESDAY

Reuters reported on Monday that Ford's board is expected to review parts of the restructuring plan during a two-day meeting beginning on Wednesday.

Mark Fields, the executive vice president in charge of Ford's Americas operations -- who is drafting the company's turnaround strategy along with Anne Stevens, chief operating officer of Americas -- told employees on Friday in an e-mail that the restructuring plan had not yet been finalized.

Gerald Bantom, the United Auto Workers vice president in charge of the union's relations with Ford told reporters late on Tuesday the automaker's restructuring plan was expected to be unveiled on January 23.

Like GM, Ford has seen its margins squeezed by soaring health-care and raw material costs, and a decline in U.S. market share. So far this year, Ford's North American unit has lost more than $1.4 billion before taxes.

Ford's U.S. sales have fallen for all but two of the last 18 months. The company's sales fell 18 percent in November.

Shares of Ford rose 12 cents to $8.23 on the New York Stock Exchange. GM shares were down 38 cents, or 1.7 percent, at $22.01.

Alexander
    1959 Hardtop
    1960 Golde Top
    Alexander
    1959 Hard Top
    1960 Golde Top
    sigpic
  • SandyBoy
    Super-Experienced
    • Oct 31 2002

RE: Ford cutting many jobs

You knew this would get a responce from me ! Sadly, you have curse words blocked out! :+

Alltogether now, 1-2-3 > "Oh what a feeling" !!

I am an American, therefore I buy American. Others say that
    other brands are better, offer more, last longer. I say,
    "American is good enough for me"

BUY AMERICAN
    >>>OR<<<
    BYE AMERICA!

Comment

• Alexander
      Webmaster
      • Oct 30 2002

I knew you would respond and I knew you would not be happy.

What is happening to American industry makes me cry. Unfortunately, Americans and Congress really do not care too much what happens to America in this post-industrial age.

Alexander
      1959 Hardtop
      1960 Golde Top
      Alexander
      1959 Hard Top
      1960 Golde Top
      sigpic

Comment

• tarps3
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 21 2003

of course you know the rest of the story.....

our tax dollars are used to subsidize and fund the foreign countries that are putting us out of business.

I recently saw an article detailing how much money certain foreign countries receive each year in subsidies and aid.

we're talking BILLIONS of dollars EACH!

it's sort of like buying your executioner a gold watch so he can wear it to your beheading.

Casey
        Casey

Comment

• Alexander
          Webmaster
          • Oct 30 2002

This country has a simplistic mindset about the economy in this country. Our government figures if they periodically adjust the interest rate, everything will be all right.

Alexander
          1959 Hardtop
          1960 Golde Top
          Alexander
          1959 Hard Top
          1960 Golde Top
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          😀
          🥰
          🤢