X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnpaulny
    Apprentice
    • Jun 9 2013

alternator wiring help

I'm installing my new alternator and am unsure about the wiring connections. I'm not sure how to describe the old setup. The four wires all come together at one connecting unit that has two screw on terminal connectors, one on either end, that appear to connect to the battery and ground terminals. The central component of that same unit is the female end of a plug that slides over two flat terminals on the old alternator, presumably the field and stator terminals. The new alternator has four separate terminals that connect with screw on wire connectors. First question is, unless I'm wrong, I'll have to cut the four wires off the old connecting unit and attach four new individual wire connectors that screw onto the terminals on the new alternator. Second question is about the wire colors. From what I've read, black/red wire is to ground, black wire is to battery, white/brown is to field and white is to stator. Is this correct?
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

According to the wiring diagram for 1963 Black/Red is ground, White is field (goes to regulator F terminal), White/Black is stator (goes to regulator S terminal), Black is battery (goes to solenoid and regulator A terminal). I believe the factory alternator had a plug in connector for the Field and Stator. You can either cut the end off or find a male to female adapter.

John
    Last edited by jopizz; November 4, 2017, 02:40 PM.
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• johnpaulny
      Apprentice
      • Jun 9 2013

Thanks, John. I had a 64, now have a 63. I'll change that.

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I edited my post after seeing the previous post about your '63 Thunderbird.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎