X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ss396t6
    Apprentice
    • Oct 21 2014

1962 upper control arms

I need the right and left upper control arms according to my daughter’s mechanic. Any leads?
    Power top relay part number?

Thanks,
    Scott
  • jopizz
    Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Control arms don't normally go bad. Usually the bushings go bad and can be replaced. They are readily available.

Which top relay do you need. There are eight in the back and one in the engine compartment.

John
    John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
    jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• ss396t6
      Apprentice
      • Oct 21 2014

Originally posted by jopizz
      Control arms don't normally go bad. Usually the bushings go bad and can be replaced. They are readily available.

Which top relay do you need. There are eight in the back and one in the engine compartment.

John
      John, thanks. Are all relays the same part number? How do I know which one or all?

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ss396t6
        John, thanks. Are all relays the same part number? How do I know which one or all?
        In the back there are six three prong relays; part# C1SF-15672-A and two two prong relays; part# C0SF-15672-D. Those relays are readily available from the Thunderbird vendors. In the engine compartment there is one neutral safety relay; part# C0SF-15A688-A. That relay is not available new. Most relays can be taken apart and cleaned and will work just fine. However most mechanics will not want to take the time to do it so they would rather buy new ones at your expense of course. New relays are $50-60. The convertible repair guide is available for download here for free:

There are also troubleshooting guides in the Technical Resource Library. I would use them first before putting out any money for new relays.

John

Comment

• ss396t6
          Apprentice
          • Oct 21 2014

In the back there are six three prong relays; part# C1SF-15672-A and two two prong relays; part# C0SF-15672-D. Those relays are readily available from the Thunderbird vendors. In the engine compartment there is one neutral safety relay; part# C0SF-15A688-A. That relay is not available new. Most relays can be taken apart and cleaned and will work just fine. However most mechanics will not want to take the time to do it so they would rather buy new ones at your expense of course. New relays are $50-60. The convertible repair guide is available for download here for free:
          http://fordramair.com/new/info/tech/...rd_manuals.htm
          There are also troubleshooting guides in the Technical Resource Library. I would use them first before putting out any money for new relays.

John
          Yes, thanks, I sent those links to my daughter after reviewing them. Quite comprehensive and tremendous tool for owners. Also, thank you for those relay part numbers. The folks here on the Squarebirds have been of great help in the past.

Comment

• ss396t6
            Apprentice
            • Oct 21 2014

Dilemma: 1961-1963 left and right upper control arms look exactly the same. Are they?

This comment from an eBay seller:
            “I compared these, Lower control arms right hand left hand are clearly different. However the upper right and left look exactly the same. Also compared a 63 and 66 upper control arm which looked just the same.”

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Originally posted by ss396t6
              Dilemma: 1961-1963 left and right upper control arms look exactly the same. Are they?

This comment from an eBay seller:
              “I compared these, Lower control arms right hand left hand are clearly different. However the upper right and left look exactly the same. Also compared a 63 and 66 upper control arm which looked just the same.”
              They have different part numbers so there is something different between right and left. Also '63-66 are different from '61-62. As I mentioned before why do you need to replace the control arms. Unless the spring perches are cracked or they are bent due to an accident I don't know you need to replace them instead of just replacing the bushings. What makes you think the ones on Ebay are better than what you have.

John
              Last edited by jopizz; November 17, 2017, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• ss396t6
                Apprentice
                • Oct 21 2014

They have different part numbers so there is something different between right and left. Also '63-66 are different from '61-62. As I mentioned before why do you need to replace the control arms. Unless the spring perches are cracked or they are bent due to an accident I don't know you need to replace them instead of just replacing the bushings. What makes you think the ones on Ebay are better than what you have.

John
                The car originally came from the New York area and later Corpus Christi before ending its journey in north Dallas and while it was factory undercoated unfortunately there was extensive rusting on parts that wasn’t protected.

Comment

• jopizz
                  Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

I live in New Jersey and I've had dozens of Northeast cars and I've never seen upper control arms rust where they have to be replaced. There is probably no heavier metal on the entire car. They can easily be sandblasted and reused. If there was that kind of rust then the whole car would be junk.

John

Comment

• ss396t6
                    Apprentice
                    • Oct 21 2014

I live in New Jersey and I've had dozens of Northeast cars and I've never seen upper control arms rust where they have to be replaced. There is probably no heavier metal on the entire car. They can easily be sandblasted and reused. If there was that kind of rust then the whole car would be junk.

John
                    John, I really don’t know but you do have a point. I am asking my daughter the same question. Are they aethestically unpleasant to look at or really that bad?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

I agree with John and I'm in Detroit. The only control arms I have ever seen replaced were ones involved in a collision.

When I do a control arm job, I use my steel stamp set to mark the 'F'ront 'R'ight for example on the arms and shafts. Make the marks visible from under the hood. Take lots of pictures as you go so the assemblies go together the same way they came out. - Dave
                      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• GeoffInCarlsbad
                        Experienced
                        • Jul 4 2015

Upper Control Arms

When I rebuilt my front end, I found my upper control arms to be in really solid condition. They looked terrible at first glance, but once I took some diesel to clean them up, and repaint them, they were as good as new. They are very, very heavy duty, and the likely hood of them rusting through is pretty low.

I replaced all the bushings, ball joints, etc. It was really not difficult to do this in a few hours.
                        Geoff In Carlsbad
                        1961 Thunderbird Convertible aka: Betty:cool:

sigpic

Comment

• Hadders
                          • Apr 16 2018

Upper control arms left or right!

Just reading through this thread and its mentioned that the upper control arms are different but any one know why and where the p/number is as I might of mixed mine up!

Comment

Working...
                          😀
                          🥰
                          🤢
                          😎
                          😡
                          👍
                          👎