This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:23 PM
Apprentice

Framer_guru is on a distinguished road
Default Wiring issues...

Hey all! Yeah, it's me again, with one of my stupid questions once more. Ok, a couple of weeks ago I started running the new wiring for my Bird. Ran all the wires in the engine bay, hooked up the lights and blinkers, then ran the wiring in the body for the tail lights and dome lights. I then started installing the wires under the dash including hooking up all the gauges. Now, the problem I am running into is hooking up the wires from the steering wheel which includes the horn, blinkers, and also hooking up to the lights for the tail lights and brakes. I got one of the harnesses from Macs Antique Parts, and the rest (I believe!) from Larry's Tbird. The engine harness has the hook ups for the air conditioning, but I don't think that the under-dash one does. Hooking up to the steering wheel is a bit of a pain. According to the wiring diagram included with the new wires, it looks like there might be an extra wire or two that is supposed to go somewhere but I'm not sure where. I will scan my diagrams in tonight and post them on my photobucket account for you all to see. Some of the wires from old and new just don't seem to jive together. I could hook up my horn to the wrong wire then honk at someone when I step on the brakes or signal for a left turn. Has anyone recently rewired their Birds? ANy help would be appreciated!
Old 05-22-2009, 11:23 PM
Experienced

57ford/60thunderbird is on a distinguished road

do you have the electrical assembly service manual with the factory schematics? that would be a good thing to have to make sure that blowing your horn when you step on the brakes type thing wouldnt happen ive only had my bird for 2 weeks tomorrow so i havent dont much rewiring to it but ive donr other cars and i allways make sure i have a thorough and correct diagram to work off of Im not a big fan of wiring so i want it done right the first time
69 roadrunner
Old 05-23-2009, 12:50 AM
Apprentice

Yeah, I've got the shop manual but there isn't a wiring diagram in it. I did find one online a while back, so that might come in handy.
Old 05-25-2009, 09:52 AM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

I dunno...a little toot here and there would make the car more "seen"...wouldn't have to worry about anyone smacking into you ....

I would think everyone has this link:
http://www.tbirdranch.com/diagrams/diagrams.html

Last edited by Coral : 05-25-2009 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:56 AM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I have four sheets I tape together to make one big one. I have one hanging in my garage and refer to it all the time.
Here's my links:

http://home.comcast.net/~dldare/55Ford/ElectricalSch55_LowerLH.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dldare/55Ford/ElectricalSch55_TopLH.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dldare/55Ford/ElectricalSch55_LowerRH.jpg
http://home.comcast.net/~dldare/55Ford/ElectricalSch55_TopLH.jpg

Hope this helps. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 05-27-2009, 08:07 AM
Super-Experienced

GTE427 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57ford/60thunderbird View Post
do you have the electrical assembly service manual with the factory schematics?
As Keith suggested, get the assembly manuals. They are a gold mine of information. There are schematics available from many sources, the shop manual, service letters and on-line resources... however the most complete and accurate diagrams available are offered by Jim Osborn Reproductions. They are about 20-25 dollars and contain schemes, harness routings and component locations, the one for the 60 TBird is part# AM0060. These manuals contain the original Ford Drawings used during assembly.

Osborn also offers a wiring manual for about 7.50, would not buy this as it's a summary of the diagrams already in the shop manual, kind of dedundant if you have the shop manual.

You won't be disappointed with the Obsorn Manual, also available thru most TBird Suppliers.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:58 AM
Apprentice

Unhappy

Hey all! Ok, I have a question for all you wiring experts out there. LIke some of you know, I recently started rewiring my 60 HT. I bought the harnesses from 2 places, Macs Antique Auto and Larry's T-Birds. I can't remember which one I bought from where. Now, I have pretty much everything in place but have ran into a couple of problems. The harness under the dash didn't have a wire coming from the headlight switch to the rear harness for the domelight. The body harness that goes for the rear light actually doesn't have the wire for the brake lights!!! I have the wiring diagram for the entire car, and I've traced the wires around but I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem? Thanks for any help!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:41 AM
Super-Experienced

Coral has disabled reputation

Hi Jimmy, personally I would check the harnesses for a part/model number and check to make sure the correct one was ordered/received for your '60.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:00 PM
Apprentice

Thanks Coral. Already did that and yeah, they are the correct harnesses. Oh well, guess I'll just run my own wiring through in addition to the regular harness... Again, thanks!
Old 08-06-2009, 04:04 PM
Experienced

Petrolhead is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framer_guru View Post
Hey all! Ok, I have a question for all you wiring experts out there. LIke some of you know, The body harness that goes for the rear light actually doesn't have the wire for the brake lights!!! I have the wiring diagram for the entire car, and I've traced the wires around but I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem? Thanks for any help!
Hi!
My memory's a little bit hazy on this, and your 60 may be different to my '62, but from what I recall when fiddling around with my wiring is that the same wire does the brake light and indicator on each side. This is because the tailights are a separate feed, but the brake lights also blink to act as indicators. Now, I'm not 100% sure and perhaps one of our more knowledgeable wiring people might correct me, but the wiring juncton is at the bottom of steering column, where the indicator switch wiring exits the column?
Simplyconnected on this forum is a whiz with wiring issues, I'm sure he'll confirm or correct me on this.
Cheers
Alistair