No announcement yet.

62 heater core

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

62 heater core

Hi I recently replace the heater core in my 62 and put in a exterior heater control valve in the engine compartment and hooked it up the smaller heater hose from top of water pump to lower connection of heater core. Now my question is why am I still getting heat in the interior when inner control is in the off position and I verified the heater control valve is completely closed.
    Now bear with me while I explain my confusion in the flow of coolant as shown in the shop manual.Here goes flow the heated coolant flow from the intake[larger hose] to the top connection of heater core through the heater core to exit from bottom connection through the control valve [smaller hose] to the top of the water pump. What's confusing logically you would think the control valve would be connected to top connection of heater core as the hot coolant is flowing into the heater core from intake and if I am to install a shut off valve flow for the summer should it not be in the larger hose that flows to top connection of heater core. Can someone shed some light on this one. Thanks
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Flow can only happen when BOTH heater hoses have openings. That also means it doesn't matter which hose you block. No flow in any part of this circuit means no heat to the core.

Try this... Take a pair of vice-grips or a 'C' clamp and squeeze one of the hoses so that flow stops. If the jaws are too small, sandwich two plates to cover the hose. You can do this in any convenient part of the hose with your new valve closed or open. After the engine warms up, feel both hoses as you check for heat.

With the clamp in place, take a test ride and tell us the result. - Dave
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

heater core

Good idea, Thanks Dave will let you know.

Comment

Heater Core

Sorry For Late Reply Dave But Thanks For Input Your Idea Worked So I Installed A Shut Off Valve For The Summer,

Thanks Again!

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎