X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simplyconnected
    Administrator
    • May 26 2009

Originally posted by simplyconnected
    Have you ever heard of any EFI system that won't handle gasohol? Every major city across the USA ONLY pumps gasohol for cars.
    Our pump gas is E-10, and I guess it is all over the US, not E-85. Car manufacturers still oppose using any higher concentration of alcohol than 10% unless the engine was specifically built for it.
    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• stubbie
      Experienced
      • Jul 7 2011

Sorry it's a 64 Tbird 390 6.4 auto

Comment

• JJbird
        Apprentice
        • Jan 2 2015

Yes, you need a vented cap.

Comment

• Yadkin
          Banned
          • Aug 11 2012

Our pump gas is E-10, and I guess it is all over the US, not E-85. Car manufacturers still oppose using any higher concentration of alcohol than 10% unless the engine was specifically built for it.
          You know I got confused on this, thinking E85 is pump gas. You are correct: E-10 is what is commonly available. Pure gasoline is only available here in a few independent stations. E85 is basically ethanol, mixed with a little bit of gas so that drunks won't drink it. E85 is not commonly available here.

Bottom line, my carburetor has apparently been damaged by E-10. I smell gas when I'm driving and I can't find any tell-tale leaks after I'm stopped.

So any of the new EFI systems that we've been discussing are compatible with E-10, correct?

Comment

• Yadkin
            Banned
            • Aug 11 2012

Summitracing.com is about the only good vendor who KNOWS EFI systems. You should talk with them.
            I called their tech line yesterday and talked to "Cole". He knew slightly less than I did, apparently, as I could hear him flipping through pages of their catalog trying to answer my specific questions.

I told him that I liked the compact design of the Professional Products Powerjection III so he said, yeah that will be good. Then I expressed concern about the electronics being mounted directly over a hot cast iron manifold and there was silence.

Then I told him I liked the lifetime warranty offered by FAST and he flipped through some more pages and recommended the FAST EZ-EFI 2.0, which is 8 injectors (two in each venturi).

I think that is overkill for my application. The FAST EZ-EFI (1.0) is less money and can still support 200 more HP than I have.

Comment

• Yadkin
              Banned
              • Aug 11 2012

Looks like the FAST EZI-EFI 1.0 is the way to go. Drag Parts USA has the best price at $1600 delivered.

I just talked with TankInc and they are providing the pump kit: PA-2 kit with extra length hose for my 14.4" deep tank. They also are providing a steel recess to put the top fittings below the upper floor of my trunk, $284 delivered.

Rock Auto has my tank, a Spectra F37A, for $168 delivered. A new tank is safer than cutting/ welding onto my new one.

Now I just have to work out the plumbing: pump supply (1/4" NPT F) to hose to filter to hose to 3/8" steel line to hose to EFI to regulator to hose to 1/4" steel line to hose to pump return (1/4" NPT F). I'm having Drag Parts work up a parts list for me.

Comment

• Wudro
                Experienced
                • Jan 25 2015

Looking forward to hear how much a difference it makes. And seeing some pics!
                SquareBird in BirdCity

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

"Fuel tank technology" has improved over the years. We always had a problem with fuel delivery while climbing long, steep mountains, especially when the tank was 1/4-filled or less.

Remember that EFI fuel pumps are small but powerful. They sit IN the fuel and they use the fuel to cool the motor. A EFI fuel pump that is allowed to run 'dry' will burn up, so don't run out of gas.

OEM tanks have an area inside that is like a big cup with high walls, where the EFI pickup sits in the middle. When level, the cup fills up from a tube facing forward. The tube snakes around the cup and enters the cup from the rear. The tube is about 1/2" diameter.

While climbing, the gas sloshes to the back of the tank while this 'cup' deal still holds a few pints of fuel. The 1/2" tube resumes filling the cup when the car is level again. The reason the tube snakes around is for when your car is descending the mountain. The cup provides enough fuel so the engine still gets gas (so it won't die) and the pickup is always submerged in fuel.

Aftermarket EFI systems use a separate pump, out of the tank. They have their own reserve of fuel to protect the pump motor. So you see, it's not just fuel pressure you need, but also consider a constant source of fuel.

I also bought a new tank for the '55. I cut the old 'cup' out of my Mustang tank and I'm in the process of installing it (and the Mustang fuel pump) into the new tank. If I'm not successful, I will use a separate fuel pump (outside the tank). - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• stubbie
                    Experienced
                    • Jul 7 2011

You could also use a swirl pot like they use in race cars. A small cylindrical aluminium pot with an inlet and outlet just somewhere between the tank and the external fuel pump. It provides constant fuel for when you are cornering or as Dave said climbing up and down hills.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                      Administrator
                      • May 26 2009

Stubbie, tell me more about the swirl pot. I'm learning something here. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                        Banned
                        • Aug 11 2012

Dave, here's one of the more common ones. You use a regular low pressure mechanical pump to keep this full, and it contains it's own high pressure pump for the EFI system.

Comment

• Yadkin
                          Banned
                          • Aug 11 2012

Here's the Flow Scheme and parts list.

Pump Tanks Inc PA-2 supply 1/4" NPT F
                          Russell 660433 1/4" NPT M to 6AN Male
                          Russell 610095 6AN F to hose 45 swivel
                          hose 2' ProClassic II
                          Russell 660463 3/8" NPT M to 6AN Male
                          AEI-12308 Filter
                          Russell 610165 6AN F to hose 90 swivel
                          hose 2' ProClassic II
                          3/8" OD Compression x 3/8" FNPT
                          3/8 steel supply tube
                          3/8" OD Compression x 3/8" FNPT
                          Russell 610025 6AN F to hose straight swivel
                          hose 4' ProClassic II
                          EFI FST30226-KIT
                          hose 2' ProClassic II
                          Russell 660353 6AN M to M union
                          Regulator AFS12308 -gage ATM2173
                          Russell 660273 6AN Plug
                          Russell 660353 6AN M to M union
                          hose 2' ProClassic II
                          Russell 610025 6AN F to hose straight swivel
                          Russell 660443 1/4" NPT M to 6AN Male
                          1/4" OD Compression x 1/4" FNPT
                          1/4" steel return tube
                          1/4" OD Compression x 1/4" FNPT
                          Russell 660443 1/4" NPT M to 6AN Male
                          hose 1' ProClassic II
                          Pump return

Comment

• Yadkin
                            Banned
                            • Aug 11 2012

Drag Parts USA had the best price on the EFI unit, filter and regulator.
                            Baxter Automotive (through Amazon) had good prices on the fittings, about 1/2 of what Summit sells them for.
                            Zoro had the steel compression fittings, good for up to 5000 psi.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

I like using 45-degree flare fittings. They're cheap, they last forever, I can flare my own pipe and they are available everywhere.
                              I like staying away from rubber hoses and hose fittings wherever possible.

I noticed that the Edelbrock sump is not under high pressure. in fact it's vented.

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Yadkin
                                Banned
                                • Aug 11 2012

I use hoses because the tight confines of the work space does not give me the access to work flare fittings. Also between the chassis components and the engine.
                                Last edited by Yadkin; October 15, 2015, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎