X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Larry Jones
    Experienced
    • Feb 3 2009

connectors

I had the same problems before John.There our two sets of inter conectors that run through the firewall that our sometime loose. Too tired to go any further with it tonight John . Theres always tomorrow. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
      Experienced
      • Feb 3 2009

Interconnectors

I just found out I also have no parking lights either when the high beams our on. Went too church today with the convertible got a lot of praises for it. Got home alittle while ago and noticed that the parking lights didn't even come on. You no Dave and John I had a same problemlast year that I soley forgot about until I made reference into the book that you indicated it was those color of wires that I wrote down in the Jim Osborn electrical manual. What I did last year was to involve my wife by holding unto the plug on the outside of the firewall which then I pulled from the inside and the plug separate easily. This plug can come somewhat undone again can you suggest somethind to anchor into place so this wont happen again. The plug is still hard to get too to measure voltage. Maybe a loose connection was all it was. I will try to test the voltage from the firewall side plug with my voltage teaster and see if it beeps. Thanks Larry

Comment

• jopizz
        Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

Those connectors that go through the firewall can be real headaches. I had Chevy's that would just stop running due to loose firewall connectors. Take them apart and clean them as best you can. They can also be a fire hazard. I've seen a number of 64-66 T-Birds that had melted connectors. At worst you can probably push one side through and use a tie wrap or something similar to hold them together.

John
        John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
        jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Larry Jones
          Experienced
          • Feb 3 2009

connectors

Yeap John Bad idea by Ford. Thanks John

Comment

• Larry Jones
            Experienced
            • Feb 3 2009

Male or female ends

Hello John.

Last question on this matter for you. I have the Jim Osborn electrical manual
            On page 78 it shows the connector configuration Now the plugs inside of the engine firewall shows female ends going into male ends on the driver side of the inside compartment Is that correct. Larry

Comment

• jopizz
              Super-Experienced

• Nov 23 2009

Larry,

I'm not sure to tell you the truth. I believe the engine side of the connector is mostly female but there may also be a couple male connectors in there too.

John
              John Pizzi - Squarebirds Administrator

Thunderbird Registry #36223
              jopizz@squarebirds.org 856-779-9695

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Comment

• Larry Jones
                Experienced
                • Feb 3 2009

connectors

I think your right if Iam reading the electric manual and the illustrations show that to be right. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
                  Experienced
                  • Feb 3 2009

harness going through the firewall

How many volts should the dimmer female plug be putting out. This is a 1962 thunderbird convertible. This plug connects into the dimmer switch. Larry

Comment

• simplyconnected
                    Administrator
                    • May 26 2009

Larry, I moved this thread because it was already covered in your last thread. Since there were no more posts, I thought you and John got this problem resolved. What happened? Did you follow 'sound troubleshooting techniques'? - Dave
                    Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                    --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Jones
                      Experienced
                      • Feb 3 2009

dimmer switch female side

Hello Dave Almost everything was covered but there was never a mention about the voltage going through the female plug of the dimmer which connects to the male plug. I no one side is the ground but the voltage side of the female how many volts Iam not getting 12 volts. Larry

Comment

• simplyconnected
                        Administrator
                        • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Larry Jones
                        ...I have the Jim Osborn electrical manual
                        On page 78 it shows the connector configuration Now the plugs inside of the engine firewall shows female ends going into male ends on the driver side of the inside compartment...
                        Larry, this is close enough to continue with this thread.

Originally posted by Larry Jones
                        ... I no one side is the ground but the voltage side of the female how many volts Iam not getting 12 volts. Larry
                        post #6:
                        Originally posted by simplyconnected
                        Larry, NONE of these go to ground, the light bulbs do...
                        Follow your Electrical Diagram and use sound troubleshooting practices. John was giving you good advice. - Dave
                        Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                        --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Larry Jones
                          Experienced
                          • Feb 3 2009

hello John and dave

The problems lie in the connecters through the firewall. I jiggled the outside on the engine firewalland three of the headlights came on. Still no low beam. Will disconnect at the firewall tomorrow. Larry

Comment

• Larry Jones
                            Experienced
                            • Feb 3 2009

car wont start

Just corrected my light problem.Two days ago I had the same systoms . Lifted the shiftor to engage the the starter nothing happened looked under the hood and notice a wire from the starter reley was to off the starter relay. Reattached it then it started. Now the same problem has come backed again. The two wires on the starter relay are secured. Still no cranking or nothing. Please advise. Solve one problem nad this comes up. Need some help. Larry I have over 12 volts at the battery.

Comment

• cdhowell
                              Apprentice
                              • Jun 15 2011

Does the starter solenoid click?

Comment

• Larry Jones
                                Experienced
                                • Feb 3 2009

starter solonoid

no clicking sounds. Larry

Comment