• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • whpaul
    Experienced
    • Oct 17 2009

The sound of the Bulletbirds

Again Hello to you,

I would like to learn something about mufflers and sound.
    When I got my car it had two mufflers in each line. A short flat one in the middle and round long one at the end.
    That was the sound of silence.

After rebuilding the Engine with some edelbrock tuning we decided to minimize to only one muffler and let that one at the end out.
    That makes the car a loud and roaring sound, what I do not like to much because for me that is an elegant coupe and not a muscle or race car.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I preferred to disconnect the short mufflers in the middle and let the ones at the end in position, but my mechanic means that the outlet at the rear mufflers which is only 1.5inches, the piping and the in- and outs of the short mufflers in mid position is 2.0inches, is to small and the engine will not run properly and can overheat.

I would like to have that typical american V8 sound, that brabble if you know what i mean, present but not to loud.When you accelerate you should hear that all eight pistons are on work, but not roaring.

How do you perform in this detail and what do you recommend?

Thanks for let me know your experience and meaning

whpaul
    W.H.Paul
    with a friendly hello from good old Europe.
  • RustyNCa
    Super-Experienced
    • May 31 2007

I'm not sure if I understood correctly, did you just remove the one muffler, or replace them both with a different one?

It looks like the middle one might be a flowmaster, which tends to be loud with lots of resonance at between 2,000 to 2,500 rpm based on my experience with them. Some people love the sound, I am getting tired of it.

I'm not an exhaust guy, but I will give you tips that I have learned from a friend that is.

First, he has said, NEVER run flowmasters close to the end of the exhaust, they sound terrible. I can say I believe this rule, as I had that setup on a Camaro, sounded terrible.

Second, where you install the muffler effects the sound.
    Third, personally I like glass packs.

So, based on what I have learned from him.

Add an x-pipe and some long glass packs.

If you want some more information on that, here is a link to my friend Ron's web site... FloJo Exhaust. Ron can give you an idea of sound on a car. He has managed to make all our cars sound the way I wanted.

Comment

• Alan H. Tast, AIA
      Experienced
      • Jan 5 2008

Original dual exhaust systems for '61-'62 used a small, oval muffler-looking item that's called a resonator, which was installed under the rear passenger floorboards. This is constructed differently from a muffler in that it doesn't have the internal baffling that's used in a muffler. If you removed the round-profiled factory-style mufflers that are mounted under the trunk floor between the leaf springs and quarter panel extensions and just left the resonators, then you'll have a loud exhaust system because you really don't have mufflers in place.

As originally engineered, the '61-'62 stock exhaust system used 1-3/4"-diameter exhaust pipes from the engine back to the mufflers, with 1-3/4" diameter outlets at the mufflers under the trunk. The high-performance option for 1962 used 2"-diameter pipes from the engine back through the resonators and into the mufflers, but its mufflers used the 1-3/4"-diameter outlets. Most people opt to not install the resonators when they need replacement, and instead splice a length of exhaust pipe in their place.

I would not be afraid to run the mufflers you have with your system, provided they meet OEM/stock specifications: you can always cut out the 1-1/2"-diameter turndowns and weld in 1-3/4" or 2"-diameter ones. You won't cause your engine to overheat by using them with the smaller outlets.
      Alan H. Tast AIA, LEED AP BD+C
      Technical Director/Past President, Vintage Thunderbird Club Int'l.
      Author, "Thunderbird 1955-1966" & "Thunderbird 50 Years"

Comment

• whpaul
        Experienced
        • Oct 17 2009

Very helpful

Thank you both for that good information.
        I disconnected of course both silencers in the rear. I run the car only with the resonators.

After your information I will change this. The resonators will be disconnected and the rear muffles will be remounted, may be I change the outlets to 2".

Everything different will be to expensive because of the freight rates and customs and vat tax here in Germany.

I let you know the result.

Thanks again for your informations.
        W.H.Paul
        with a friendly hello from good old Europe.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        🥰
        🤢
        😎
        😡
        👍
        👎