X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by Astrowing
    Here's a close-up picture of the left side of mine. I think you can figure out what all the dimensions are by looking at this picture.
    I suggest you check where your upper control arm front bolt goes into the frame. You might have a big issue there. Or perhaps the bushings in your control arm is gone, as mine was. That´s where it all started....
    As it looks on this picture, you have a very limited travel on your rear end.
    Very good picture though. Thanks.
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• Astrowing
      Experienced
      • Jul 22 2009

Yes, bushings are pretty much gone in the front of the lower arm, upper arm, and track control arm. I guess you can tell it is sitting too low from the picture?
      sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Anders
        Super-Experienced
        • Jan 19 2008

With that "tension" on the rear "clamp", you should have a VERY stiff rear end and a VERY limited movement of the whole rear end. Otherwise, it need to be plenty of play in the bushings. Most from the upper control arm. Check Post #36 where you see how off the centre the upper control arm is and how little is left of my bushings.

Comment

• Dutchbird
          Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Hi Anders,

Sorry for reading your thread so late, wasn't on the Forum for a while. (again).
          Searched tonight for some pics on my PC of my bushings but didn't find these so far, MUST have them!
          What is your first question at this moment if I may ask?
          (You did a **** of a job so far as I've seen...........)

Comment

• Anders
            Super-Experienced
            • Jan 19 2008

Here are some pics showing the rear axle with new gaskets, sealing and paint. Just behind, in light blue color, my new softer rubber. They didnt have black this soft.... I might need to go up to harder shore later on, but this is what I will try first anyway as I want something drastic compaire to the "hockeypuck" I have before.
            Pic #2 shows how far the upper control arm is from the support in the frame and the 3:rd pic shows that the travel arms have moved up 6" when thr control arm is connected. This is "maximum travel" without any rubber dampers in the most rear part of the axle. You can also see how much apart the "clamp" is compair to Astrowings in Post #60. Imagine how much more the whole rear axle will go upp if this part is tigtheen.
            I will not mount the bolt, sleeve and rubber dampers until the tires is on, so I need to come back to this later.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Anders; March 15, 2011, 01:07 AM.

Comment

• simplyconnected
              Administrator
              • May 26 2009

Originally posted by Anders
              ...3:rd pic shows that the travel arms have moved up 6" when thr control arm is connected. This is "maximum travel" ...
              What is 'maximum hang' with your shock absorbers mounted?
              Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
              --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
                Super-Experienced
                • Jan 19 2008

I´m not sure how to measure that as the car is standing on jack stands at the moment.
                I can mount the chocks tonite, but from where should I mesure?

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Two points come to mind:
                  1.) The axle should hit the top rubber bumper without binding, so the axle housing 'stroke' is from the lowest 'hang' to the compressed bumper. Again, without binding (because we don't want any arm to exert stress on the mounting bolts). The system should bounce freely

2.) When the body is level (with at least one passenger), the upper arms should be level, and the tilt of the axle housing should match the tilt of the engine, for the universal joints to be in harmony.

Because the length of the bottom arm is longer it has a greater radius than the top arm. Your axle offset should roll equally as the axle bounces above and below the centerline of the upper arms. I don't believe the idea of the rubbers is to set travel limits or to stop wheel hop. I think the bushings are meant to keep the axle square with the body, especially around corners, as one wheel is lifted higher than the other. I do not think this method is very effective but I think it is a feeble attempt by a contractor to sell their suspension to Ford engineers.

Many companies have produced coil spring rear suspension since 1958. None had a problem ripping mounting bolts out of the frame. We saw the service bulletins that prove Ford knew about this design problem. IMHO, that was one recall Ford got away with. - Dave

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                    I don't believe the idea of the rubbers is to set travel limits
                    Agree. Schould not, but it does. Perhaps not "setting" but for sure limiting it.

Comment

• Dutchbird
                      Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by Astrowing
                      Here's a close-up picture of the left side of mine. I think you can figure out what all the dimensions are by looking at this picture.
                      Attached Images

Took a picture this evening of my left side for comparison:
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchbird
                        Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Originally posted by Anders
                        Does anyone know, or maybe have the heart to check on your own ´58, the length of the spacer ( metal tube ) that sits inside the two isolators on the rear axle. After m u c h work on all possibilities I have located the problem with my stiff rear end and limited suspension travel to this area. My isolators are the original rubber, meaning they are very hard after +50 years, but I know that my spacers are not original, so I need to find out the original length
                        He Anders, see you're on the Forum right now.
                        I did some digging tonight for you and came up with............this:
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchbird
                          Experienced

• Dec 20 2005

Something went wrong with my previous posting.
                          I believe it is one (original?) spacer from my old isolators and it measures 6 cm.
                          My very deepest excuses I wasn't on Squarbirds for a while() to try to answer your question earlier, sorry!!!
                          Attached Files

Comment

• Anders
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jan 19 2008

Those rubbers sure looks squeezed

Can you measure the leingth of that metal tube? Just for fun...
                            Millimeters is totally fine.

Comment

• simplyconnected
                              Administrator
                              • May 26 2009

ATTENTION: Poor Anders asked for the length of the tube SEVENTY-THREE posts ago.

Will someone please show him a picture of your tube with a scale beside it? Length matters (right, Anders?).

Thank You

--Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Anders
                                Super-Experienced
                                • Jan 19 2008

Originally posted by simplyconnected
                                ATTENTION: Poor Anders asked for the length of the tube SEVENTY-THREE posts ago.

Will someone please show him a picture of your tube with a scale beside it? Length matters (right, Anders?).

Thank You
                                Length matters

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                🥰
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😡
                                👍