Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • opaque
    • Apr 21 2010

Removing Radiator

Hey guys, I still have yet to get my dirty hands on a workshop manual, and I'm about to embark on removing the radiator to get it recored. Would anyone be able to loosely explain the steps in doing this, it's fairly straight forward I just don't want to overlook anything.

Also which is the best manual to hunt for? I really, really need one!

Cheers, VInny

Visit our Blog HERE!
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

It's pretty straight forward (and messy).

I would recommend placing a sheet of cardboard between the fan blade & the raditor core...

-Jon in TX.
    sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• simplyconnected
      Administrator
      • May 26 2009

Originally posted by opaque
      ...I'm about to embark on removing the radiator to get it recored...
      Vinny, I commend you for keeping your copper radiator. Most restorers buy the aluminum type. Copper transfers heat MUCH better than aluminum, and it far easier to solder.

Now... to get you in touch with a manual...

Jon's suggestion about using cardboard for a cushion is brilliant. I always keep cardboard in the garage, and it could have saved me a few skinned knuckles (if I only thought of using it to remove the fan). - Dave
      Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
      --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• Astrowing
        Experienced
        • Jul 22 2009

The only difficulty I found in removing the radiator is that the center bottom bolt on the radiator is above the crossmember scrape plate. It had some difficult nuts on the back that wanted to turn. I've had mine in and out a couple of times and it is a 10 minute job now. After it's drained of course and hoses removed. I've had the hood off both times also.
        sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• Howard Prout
          Experienced
          • Feb 11 2009

I've taken the rad out of my car several times and never took the hood off. As said earlier, put a piece of cardboard between the rad and the fan. Remove the two bolts at the bottom of the rad. Remove the filler piece between the rad and the cowl. Remove the rad hoses and the tranny hoses. Now lift the rad straight up. It's out!
          sigpic "Old Betsy" - my '59 convertible J9YJ116209 Thunderbird Registry #33341

Comment

• Astrowing
            Experienced
            • Jul 22 2009

I concur. You don't have to remove the hood, but it sure does make working on anything at the front of the engine much easier. You do have to get some help because the hood is heavy.
            sigpic

CLICK HERE for Jim's web site

Comment

• 60 T-Bird
              Experienced
              • Jun 2 2010

My whole system was so crudy, I slightly deformed the necks on the rad trying to remove the hoses. I finally cut them and surgically removed them on the bench. I did not know they were copper. I have not had mine rotted yet.
              "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

Comment

• JohnG
                John
                • Jul 28 2003

Good point on the old hoses! Sacrifice them so as to reduce the chance of damaging the radiator necks working them off. I am embarrassed to admit having damaged a couple of radiators in my time trying to wrestle either the hose or heater hose off, realizing afterward how short sighted I was being.
                1958 Hardtop
                #8452 TBird Registry
                http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
                history:
                http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• simplyconnected
                  Administrator
                  • May 26 2009

Dow Chemical makes silicon grease (grease, not sealer or RTV). It never hardens, is waterproof, impervious to heat and cold, and it makes a perfect hose lube. This stuff is rather thick, and it sticks to everything.

I use silicone grease on all my rubber hoses and fittings. If the rubber surface starts out dry, silicone grease will keep water away and preserve the rubber. Years later, hoses twist off with ease. - Dave
                  Member, Sons of the American Revolution

CLICK HERE to see my custom hydraulic roller 390 FE build.

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
                  --Lee Iacocca

Comment

• tbird430
                    Super-Experienced
                    • Jun 18 2007

Oh, I also use a spare 2' rubber 3/8 fuel line over the 2 ends of the steel trans cooler lines (once removed). This keeps some of the mess under control until re-assembly.

sigpic
                    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    🥰
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎