This will take you to the main site where there is history, technical information and other information on these cars.
This takes you back to the main page of the forums.
This is the control panel to change your password, information and preferences on this message board.
Click here if your lost your password or need to register on this message board. You must be a registered user to post. Registration is free.
Search this board for information you need.
Click here to buy cool Squarebirds mechandise.
Click here to support Squarebirds.org. For $20 annually receive 20mBytes webspace, a Squarebirds e-mail address and member's icon on the message board.
Old 05-28-2017, 05:21 PM
Experienced

OX1 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by partsetal View Post
Of the 6 430 Squarebirds with air that I've owned/parted all had the bracket pictured above. I've had a later 430 engine with a different style bracket, but I think it may have been an aftermarket one. Here is a photo of this different bracket.
Carl

Thats the Lincoln bracket, right??

https://notoriousluxury.files.wordpr...015/02/432.jpg
http://cdn.barnfinds.com/wp-content/...17/02/v4-2.jpg

I didn't think a York would fit verticle in a SB.
The SB in your pic had the std 430 SB, PS pump under it?
Wasn't sure if that bracket worked with the birds PS pump,
since the Lincoln had it's PS pump on the crank.

I've seen the 430/462 Lincoln AC bracket pretty
regularly on E-bay. Maybe I'll grab one.
Especially since I already have the 2 groove
Lincoln 430 WP and 3rd AC pulley.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:51 AM
Super-Experienced and a HELLOFA nice guy

YellowRose is on a distinguished road
Default AC Bracket for 430?

Here is where I am at in trying to find this EDJ-2882-B support bracket off a 430MEL AC equipped Tbird. Dwight and Steve at CAA say that they do not have one and to mount their Perfect Fit system onto a 430, they MUST have that mounting bracket. Then they have a bracket that attaches to it that will make it all work. As for finding that bracket from a '59-'60 Lincoln 430 equipped car with AC may not work. Because he said every Lincoln he has seen had the compressor mounted on the Passenger side, NOT the drivers side. However, they do not know if ALL 430 AC equipped Lincolns were like that.

So we are going to have to find that mounting bracket, OR someone is going to have to make one like it, IF we can find out what the dimensions are. I am going to get on the Lincolns Of Distinction Forum and see what the guys there can tell me about 430 AC equipped '59-'60 Lincolns and that mounting bracket... If it has one. I will let you know what they might say.

I just came from the LOD Forum and I see that John ~ driller, has already posted our need for this mounting bracket for us. So far, no responses that I saw... Thanks, John!

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
'59 Tbird "The Yellow Rose Of Texas" aka "Tweety Bird"
"It's Hip To Be Square"
Thunderbird Registry #33025 VTCI #11178

rayclark07"at"att.net (Home) 210-674-5781 (Cell) 210-875-1411
http://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm

Last edited by YellowRose : 05-31-2017 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 05-31-2017, 03:42 PM

I have located 1 mounting bracket so far. However, it is NOT for sale because it is on a 430 AC equipped Squarebird ('60 Golde Top, as I recall) that is intact and operational. However, the person who owns that Tbird has said that he will see if that mounting bracket IS the EDJ-2882-B. If it is, he will try to get me the measurements on it so that one could be made from it. He knows we have a picture of it but not the measurements. He will get back with me in the next day or two. He also has a 1960 Lincoln with a bracket on it, he thinks, but if so, he is not sure it is the same one as the Tbird bracket. He will check that also. He is well aware that this particular piece is almost impossible to find. IF we can get the measurements, then someone might be able to make the piece, using them and the picture..

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 05-31-2017, 04:41 PM

I have been calling around and have had no further luck. Except this... I was just told that 1958 & 1959 (but not 1960) 430 AC equipped Lincolns DO use the same EDJ-2882-B support mounting bracket! IF the car has a belt driven Power Steering Pump. This, according to my source, is right out of the Lincoln parts manual. So, start hitting the Lincoln sites I gave ya and see what ya can find!

I just added that information on the LOD Forum also!

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 05-31-2017 at 04:51 PM. Reason: Additional Information
Old 06-01-2017, 02:59 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
EDJ-2882-B off a '59 or '60 Squarebird
Is that bracket supposed to bolt on over the PS bracket that bolts to front of block?
Old 06-01-2017, 03:23 PM

Henry, I do not know the answer to that question... Here is an update on the search for a EDJ-2882-B support mounting bracket. I FOUND one off a 1959 Lincoln Continental. However, it is NOT the mounting bracket that CAA needs to mount their mounting bracket kit to. Yes, that bracket is used on the 1958-1959 Lincoln and the 1959-1960 Tbird, with the OEM compressor that came with the car. The CAA uses Sanden compressors. I had thought they were using York or Tecomseh, but that was incorrect. That EDJ-2882-B is elongated and not square or rectangular in shape as the mounting bracket needed to mount their mounting bracket to, that mounts on that York compressor. So it was a wild goose chase for nothing, but one heck of a learning experience. Below I will post some pix of the CAA mounting adapter that attaches to the compressor and also the 2882 flat, squared mounting bracket we need to bolt to it. That way you can see how different they are to the EDJ-2882-B.

Kyle tells me that he has the ability and skills to make his own bracket and will probably go that route after he gets the CAA Perfect Fit. He will scope things out and see how to mock up a mounting bracket that will work. He has the pix of what the 2882 in the picture below looks like and the CAA adapter mounting bracket. We just do not have the measurements yet, but will be able to get the measurements of the CAA adapter bracket that comes with the kit from it.

Here are some pix... First is that EDJ-2882-B I found. You can see that though it is correct for 1958-1960, it certainly is NOT the shape of the support mounting bracket that will match up with their adapter kit. Then the CAA 7-182 or 7-183 adapter kit mount that attaches to their CAA Sanden compressors. Lastly, the 2882 is the mounting bracket that CAA says we need, but they do not make. As you can see, that 2882 bolts right onto their CAA 7-182 or 7-183 adapter mount. I am told that a York or Tecumseh compressor back then should have that flat 2882 bracket attached that you see in the bottom picture. If so grab it and see if you can find the Ford part # off it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 430-AC-Compressor-EDJ-2882-B-Support-Mount.JPG (70.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0995.JPG (95.1 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0996.JPG (101.4 KB, 36 views)

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Last edited by YellowRose : 06-02-2017 at 03:52 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old 06-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Experienced

Quote:
Originally Posted by YellowRose View Post
I FOUND one off a 1959 Lincoln Continental. EDJ-2882-B
You found one for sale, or just found one?

I want to use the stock compressor (for looks)
with the rest of the classicautoair setup.
I have called them and they said they would
sell me the kit that way.

I could make my own bracket, but would rather not.
Old 06-01-2017, 05:26 PM

I found one for sale for $175.... and it was turned down because it will NOT work with the CAA adapter mounting kit. It looks nothing like what has to be found to match up with their CAA mounting kit.... Take a look at the EDJ-2882-B pix and then the 2882 pic. You will see there is no way the EDJ-2882-B piece will mount to that 2882 mounting bracket.

"It's Hip To Be Square"

Old 06-03-2017, 04:23 PM
Slow Typist

simplyconnected is on a distinguished road

I'm going to stick my neck out again with some words of caution, in hopes it will save you time and money:

Classic Auto Air sells Sanden air conditioning compressors. Their 'adapter' plate is supposed to transition between a Ford mount (Tecumseh or York) and CAA's Sanden.

While all this sounds complicated, It doesn't need to be if you make your own bracket. That's right, instead of doing all the transitions, fabricate (or have someone fabricate) a bracket that mounts to your engine as it holds the compressor you will use. That way you don't need a bracket and an adapter.

I had a long discussion about this with Ray because the information he had was not my experience. He spoke with CAA to confirm, they do not have anything to do with Ford brackets and they don't have Ford part numbers because they don't deal with Ford's compressors at all, just their own Sanden brand.

I ran into the fordification forum where one of their members fabricates and sells Sanden air conditioning compressor brackets for FE engines. CLICK HERE This bracket looks sturdy and well-made. Certainly, one can be fabricated for a MEL 430 engine. - Dave

"We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"
--Lee Iacocca
Old 06-03-2017, 09:22 PM

Thanks, Dave, for posting this information! This may be the way to go for the 430 owners.. Great information.

"It's Hip To Be Square"