Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone here have air ride on their squarebird?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrolhead
    Experienced
    • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by SwitchBlade327
    I'm gonna get the car on the lift this weekend and brainstorm the air ride while I install new mufflers.
    Hi, only a suggestion, if possible it might pay to hold off with the mufflers. When baggign my '62 one of the most difficult jobs was the exhaust. Because my car's floorpan almost sits on the ground there was no room for mufflers underneath, and no room for mufflers ahead of the rear axle as the rear bags would be too close to the hot exhaust. Also, trying to snake the pipes up over the diff, without hitting the shocks, air lines or bags, was a mission. In the end I took it to a profssional shop as it was beyond my ability.
    I used a single flowmaster, dual in/dual out, for a late model firebird. I located it behind the rear axle, in front of the gas tank.
    Maybe it might be an idea to get the bags, lines etc in and then see how the exhaust/mufflers work out.
    Cheers

Alistair

Comment

• Petrolhead
      Experienced
      • Jul 2 2007

Thanks Dano

yes, I'd thought about chroming the scoop but mine isa bit beat up (i hung it on wire from the shed roof while painting it and it fell off - doh!) so there's a bit of filler in it.

One day I might bring a replacemnet in from the US and chrome it and see how it looks, but the old bank account's looking a bit wounded (:

Comment

• Petrolhead
        Experienced
        • Jul 2 2007

I know air ride makes good stuff, but they're way overpriced in my opinion.

I got my stuff through suicidedoors.com, awesome to deal with and really well priced. Instead of using a kit I just picked out what i wanted.

Also, the Shockwaves didn't fit my '62, and Darren at Air Ride went out of his way to sort the problem out, even shipped some different mounting brackets here to NZ at no charge. I couldn't fault there follow up service and quick response.

Comment

• SwitchBlade327
          Apprentice
          • Jan 1 2008

Originally posted by Petrolhead
          Hi, only a suggestion, if possible it might pay to hold off with the mufflers. When baggign my '62 one of the most difficult jobs was the exhaust. Because my car's floorpan almost sits on the ground there was no room for mufflers underneath, and no room for mufflers ahead of the rear axle as the rear bags would be too close to the hot exhaust. Also, trying to snake the pipes up over the diff, without hitting the shocks, air lines or bags, was a mission. In the end I took it to a profssional shop as it was beyond my ability.
          I used a single flowmaster, dual in/dual out, for a late model firebird. I located it behind the rear axle, in front of the gas tank.
          Maybe it might be an idea to get the bags, lines etc in and then see how the exhaust/mufflers work out.
          Cheers

Alistair
          I know I'll have to do it over again later, but the car is my daily, and I've been going muffler-less for a few weeks now. The sounds is pretty obnoxious inside the car! My mufflers were stuffed up in the quarters behind the rear wheels, well out of the way of anything and above the bottom of the car. I'm putting glasspacks on the car, so they take up even less space than my old ones. As long as I can route the exhaust past the bags/air lines, the mufflers shouldn't be an issue.

It's nothing but slapping a couple of exhaust clamps on, won't take me 20 minutes!

I've been wondering about the exhaust of the car, I figure it's gonna have to be tucked up REALLY tight to the floor.
          Last edited by SwitchBlade327; January 8, 2009, 10:44 PM.

Comment

• Petrolhead
            Experienced
            • Jul 2 2007

I know I'll have to do it over again later, but the car is my daily, ...

...I've been wondering about the exhaust of the car, I figure it's gonna have to be tucked up REALLY tight to the floor.

Makes sense, cool that it's your daily driver!'

Yep, I've got 2-1/2" pipe and it's almost touching the floor. Will wrap it in Thermo Wrap, should prevent any heat issues

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎