X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Framer_guru
    Apprentice
    • Aug 1 2008

My Bird in progress Check out the pics

Okay, guys and gals. I figured out how to post some pictures online, so I thought I'd post a link for everyone to see what I've gottenmyself into. Feel free to check this out and let me know what you all think of my newest toy. Yeah, I know, LOTS AND LOTS of work ahead of me, but since I do all of my own work, it should save me a small bit of change. Plus, I'm learning a lot more than I knew before I started this. Anyway, please, PLEASE let me know what you all think and any advice you can send my way will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!! As always, this is an AWESOME site and I've learned a lot just from asking my stupid questions and reading other peoples threads. Here's the site for my pictures. Remember, I just recently dragged this car from New Mexico, where she had been sitting for 20 years, to Florida about 1 month ago. She seems to like the change of scenery.
    Store your photos and videos online with secure storage from Photobucket. Available on iOS, Android and desktop. Securely backup your memories and sign up today!

Enjoy!
    Jimmy
    1960 HT in work
  • dgs
    Super-Experienced
    • Feb 13 2003

That's quite a project, but at least being in the desert, it ought to be pretty solid.

My '60 came from southern CA, so I too found that things come apart (like your bumper brackets) surprisingly easy.
    DGS (aka salguod)
    1960 Convertible - Raven Black, Red leather
    www.salguod.net

Comment

• YellowRose
      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Hi Jimmy,

Thanks for posting the pix! You have your work cut out for you, but it is good that you can do a lot of the work yourself. You will have plenty of help and advice here, I am sure. Good luck with it and when you get further down the road, please post some more pix so we can see how it is coming along. I think it is great when ya'll post pix of a restoration project, like Tom Young did, for example. It gives the rest of us a good idea what we face, how someone else did it, and how we can do it.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
      The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
      Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
      Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
      https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

• Framer_guru
        Apprentice
        • Aug 1 2008

Thanks

Thanks for looking at my project, guys! Sarge, I will continue to post more pictures as I go along. I take them to also help me remember where everything goes! I thought that I was going out to sea this morning so that was why I primed the trunk lid. Turns out this hurricane isn't hitting us so our helo's are safe. Gives me more time to work on my Bird. Should start throwing the engine together in the next week or two. YAY! Will keep you posted.
        Jimmy
        1960 HT in work

Comment

• Anders
          Super-Experienced
          • Jan 19 2008

That´s what I call a project.

The very best of luck, and don´t hesitate to keep asking.
          If you save this bird, you are truly worth our respect.
          sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• DKheld
            Super-Experienced
            • Aug 27 2008

One lucky bird

Nothing to it - all that Tbird needs is a little body work, a little electrical work, a little motor work, a little paint, a little interior work, a LOT of time then replace a few missing pieces and your back on the road - simple job!!!

Posting the pics and progress will be super - very nice original color combo - are you going back original? Wish I could come and help.

That really is one lucky bird.

Good luck,
            Eric

Comment

Jimmy
              It looks like you have started in the right direction by taking alot of pictures, these will help you put it back together as I did the same thing and I did need my pictures to get it back together. Keep us posted on your progress.
              Bob M

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Jimmy glad to hear first that the hurricane is not going to impact your area as it seemsd every other day there is one coming off the coast. Some of other members have also " road out the storm " and we are all glad to hear all is well. The pictures will certainly help the restoration and down the road no doubt, be instrumental in the before and after binder.
                Remember down the road, when you are ready many of or members have extar parts that you can start a thread in the For sale/ Wanted section which may save you some $$ instead of purchasing from the
                Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                Thunderbird Registry
                58HT #33317
                60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• byersmtrco
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Sep 28 2004

And I thought I "wasn't done"
                  Just think what you'll have when it's all done.

Comment

• Framer_guru
                    Apprentice
                    • Aug 1 2008

Body work question

I knew she was going to be a long project car. This weekend I spent sanding the trunk lid more and rear fenders. A couple very small spots of surface rust which cleaned right up. The metal underneath is BEAUTIFUL!!! A couple of very small dings in the trunk lid, none on the fenders... She's coming along nicely.

Now, quick question. Has anyone here ever used or heard of the trick for popping dents with dry ice? Supposedly you let the car sit in the sun, getting the metal hot, then rub dry ice over a dent, causing the metal to shrink and pop the dent out. That's the theory, anyway... Has anyone tried this before?
                    Jimmy
                    1960 HT in work

Comment

• Framer_guru
                      Apprentice
                      • Aug 1 2008

Eric, after running the numbers found that the interior trim code refers to vinyl seats with nylon cord centers, exterior color is basically a metallic gold. Still up in the air whether or not to keep the original paint color or go with a metallic copper. We'll see, still a long way to go before painting. HAHAHAHAHA!
                      Jimmy
                      1960 HT in work

Comment

• DKheld
                        Super-Experienced
                        • Aug 27 2008

Lucky Bird

Say from what I remember those cloth insert production numbers were low compared to the number of cars made. Don't think anyone re-produces that material but it would be worth looking for it. The vinyl seats are pretty hot in a non A/C car like mine but I see your car had/has A/C so guess the vinyl (or leather if you decide) won't really be an issue.

Haven't heard of the dry ice trick - I'd probably end up with frozen fingers and a big bulge in the metal - I'm only familiar with the suction cup dent pullers and the old drill a hole and yank style. Harbor Freight has the suction cup pullers fairly cheap if you have one nearby and want to try that.

Check Ebay if you are ready to start gathering parts - fellow has 5 parts cars. He only has 2 listed at the moment but I emailed about some parts I am looking for and he said he has 5. None with air though - that's what I am looking for.
                        Here's the item number of the car I asked about.

Item number: 330269250378

Only thing I have parts wise is a dash and brand new white headliner. Someone drilled 2 extra holes in the dash so it's basically trash - bought it for the clock which I restored and turned into a desk clock. The headliner was too white so I had a local upholstry shop make one by using my original as a pattern. Much better. Just never got around to sending the Concours headliner back (long cancer story).

here's the clock http://www.dropshots.com/dkheld#albums/Desk%20clock

Can't wait to see the finished car - like maybe in November?
                        Eric

http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...tryNumber=5347

Comment

• Framer_guru
                          Apprentice
                          • Aug 1 2008

Man, if I could have this car done by November, I'd start my own tv show restoring cars like Overhaulin' or something along those lines. Unfortunately, it's just me doing ALL the work at the moment. Should be getting the engine reassembled in a couple of weeks, then see what I need to do with the transmission then set those aside until after I get her painted. I have looked everywhere for someone who still makes the seats like mine, no dice. BUT, a couple of guys here gave me some links to companies that make vinyl, cloth, etc for old cars, whether it's an old Mustang, Nova, Galaxie, whatever. So I should get the fabric from them then have a local upholsterer make me new seats. Just have to get the foam so they'll have a mold... Thanks for the item number. I have most everything for the a/c except the condenser, which I left in New Mexico. Silly me... Once I start putting everything together, I will need more assistance making sure everything hooks up right and I have all the lines routed correctly. THEN I have to charge the a/c system. Man, lots of work to do. Who knows, maybe November is feasible...
                          Jimmy
                          1960 HT in work

Comment

• Framer_guru
                            Apprentice
                            • Aug 1 2008

Oh, by the way, VERY COOL CLOCK!!! That is just too cool. If I ever decide to put a quartz clock in mine, I had thought of making something similar to hang in my garage. Now it looks like I'll have to do something else that will be original... I'll come up with something!!!
                            Jimmy
                            1960 HT in work

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Jimmy,

Jed Zimmerman makes new seat foams, front and back, for our Birds. Also refurbishes the steering wheel so it looks like new. I got my foam sets from him and he does great work. He is a member of Squarebirds.

Ca58tbird You can probably contact him faster by emailing him at: Ca58tbird@aol.com
                              or
                              askhow@aol.com

He will certainly give you a quote and he is reasonable.

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
                              The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
                              Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
                              Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
                              https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎