X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tbird430
    Super-Experienced
    • Jun 18 2007

Dec. 4, 1959.

Here is a date stamp (in yellow), which was found on the back of my blower motor housing. It was attached to the firewall of my 1960 T-Bird....

sigpic
    The 1960 Ford Thunderbird. The WORLD'S most wanted car....

VTCI Member#6287.
  • Anders
    Super-Experienced
    • Jan 19 2008

Might be made then, but attached after new years eve....
    sigpic..."Lil darling Ruth":)
    http://www.tbirdregistry.com/#33158

Comment

• LuckyJay
      • Jan 4 2007

I believe that the 60 model year production ran from about August of 59 thru Sept of 60. Therefore your date in December seems authentic.

Comment

Wildcat you are correct I remember growing up my Dad who hauled new Fords was always laid off in Sept while Ford retooled for the new models.

Comment

Every date I find on my 60 Is nov. 59. I have a low serial # 14000 Remember they sold 90'000 of these cars.

Comment

• tbird430
            Super-Experienced
            • Jun 18 2007

My T-Birds serial # is 19,342. The ROT sheet date is 12-12-59, and my car was sold on Dec. 22,1959. I guess my car was never in 1 place for very long. Well except for in my garage now. LOL!!!
            sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

That would work out right.If they made 90,000 in twelve months that is 7500 per month.They started producing them in mid Sept.so that would make you 14000 fit right in for a Nov. birth day

Comment

• tbird430
                Super-Experienced
                • Jun 18 2007

I agree my friend. Oh, my cars data plate date was also "11M".
                sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• GTE427
                  Super-Experienced
                  • Oct 9 2007

Data plate date of 11M would translate to Dec 11,1960 as a scheduled for production date, is the build date (the start of the unit on the assembly line) the date found on the ROT sheet, in this case 12-12-60? I haven't seen information on the ROT date to know what the date means.
                  Ken
                  1959 J Convertible
                  1960 J Hardtop

Comment

That would be 11 Dec 1959.Mine is 17J and was the 1080 car built,so if I am figureing right they started production on Sept 14 1959 and built approx 370 cars per day on a 5 day work week.

Comment

• tbird430
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Jun 18 2007

I hear ya Ken. The 2nd ROT sheet I found later in my car had a ROT sheet date of 12-11 and a VIN # sequence of 19,568!! I figure something had to have been wrong, damaged, or it was waiting for a special request or part and the car was pulled aside until the next day before it was finished?? It was also a 430cid Bird.
                      Last edited by tbird430; June 2, 2008, 04:01 PM.
                      sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

• LuckyJay
                        • Jan 4 2007

Ours codes out to August 13 of 1960 it is 92652 of the 92843 run so they only made 191 in the last month which ended on September the 13th. Anybody got one later than that?

Comment

• GTE427
                          Super-Experienced
                          • Oct 9 2007

Thanks for the correction, in my rush I typed the wrong year without thinking. Interesting find with your car, seems like there was some confusion on the line when your car started to come together. In addition to the locations you've found your VIN stampings, there should be another location, passenger side, top of firewall/cowl, under the removable cowl piece.
                          Ken
                          1959 J Convertible
                          1960 J Hardtop

Comment

• tbird430
                            Super-Experienced
                            • Jun 18 2007

Well my car did have a order type code on my ROT sheet, and in the special remarks section at the bottom it has "Goodyear Double Eagle WW tires" noted.

The story that came with the car (I'm the 2nd owner), is that the original owner special ordered this car with the options he wanted. He "knew someone" with Ford Motor Company, and when his car was built at Wixom, he was there & allowed to drive it off the assembly line.

I don't know, but that is the "story" which came with my car....

Ken, BTW, here are my VIN# finds as I have be cleaning up my inner fender & firewall for paint. http://www.squarebirds.org/vbulletin...ead.php?t=4591 Another oddity on my car is the incorrect VIN# stamped on my upper inner fender flange. It doesn't match my vin, nor the 2nd ROT sheet that I found in my car. All the OE seem sealer is there and there is now sign of body work/welding so I'm sure that is my fender "off the assembly line" so to speak.
                            Last edited by tbird430; June 3, 2008, 07:48 AM.
                            sigpic

VTCI Member#6287.

Comment

Jon I used to work on the assembly line at Dodge in Detroit and I have seen car drop off into the pit that runs under the assembly line,damaging usually one of the front fenders.That is what likely happened to yours.When a car is damaged they pull it off the line and the body shop repairs it.

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎