X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • YellowRose
    Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Got My Chrome Back!

Yesterday, I got my chrome back from the chromers. All but one piece, that is. They had a problem with one of the extension bars, the right side, and are re-doing it. I am pretty pleased with the quality of the chroming. However, There are a couple of pieces that will not fit. One is that long chrome piece at the inside top of the windshield that the mirror attaches to, and the sun visors. For some reason, that bowed when they processed it. Far more than it should have. I could not get it on. Nor could I get the bow out of it. They are going to see if they can rework it.

The other problem piece is the air scoop. It also bowed slightly and bent a bit. I cant get the right side to slip into position and tighten down. They are going to see if they can fix that also. They told me that pot metal can sometimes give you a lot of problems when processing it.

Other than that, It all came out looking really well, I think. You can view the pictures by going to PhotoBucket and looking at them. There are 15 pix. I still have to put the back chrome on when I get that other extension piece back, and interior stuff that goes on that top chrome piece when they get it fixed. Or I get it replaced. I ordered a chromed piece to replace it in case they cant fix it. I am trying to get this Bird ready for its first Drive In Show event on April 11th.

I am really pleased with the way the valve covers and the step plates came out, especially. I am working on something to cover the step plates so they can be stepped on but not scuffed up. A thin clear plastic cover over them should do the trick. That way one will not have to take their shoes off Japanese style, before entering my Tbird! And you will still be able to see the nice design in the plates.

Ray
    '59 Tbird "Yellow Rose" VTCI #11178

Ray Clark - Squarebirds Administrator
    The Terminator..... VTCI #11178 ITC #6000 Yellow Mustang Registry (YMR) #12188
    Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

https://www.squarebirds.org/picture_gallery/TechnicalResourceLibrary/trl.htm
    Faye's Ovarian Cancer Memorial Website.
    https://faye.rayclark.info/index.html

Ray
    Very nice the step plate will really stand out when you open the doors.
    Bob M

Comment

• RustyNCa
      Super-Experienced
      • May 31 2007

Ooo, can I have your visor arms and the windshield piece, my are terrible .

You have any idea what it cost to have those three pieces done?

Comment

• YellowRose
        Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Got My Chrome Back!

Hi Rusty!

My visor arms were re-chromed so they are going back on the car. That center strip that goes at the top of the windshield which holds the mirror and the two sun visors is not usable. In re-chroming it, it bent out to far on the ends. You cannot get it installed back in place. The chromer has it and will see what they can do to reprocess it and get the bow out of it. It has a slight bow to it normally, about no more than 1/2" on each end. For whatever reason, it bowed a lot more during the process. About 2-3". If they cant fix it, I am going to have to replace it.

As for what it cost to have those three pieces (actually four because they also re-chromed the triangular piece the mirror mounts to) it was $50. I do not have a complete break down of piece by piece, but it was part of a five piece package that included the two door steps. They did that for $100, $50 of which was the cost of the two door step pieces. I had 20 pieces chromed and 37 screws, 20 of which were the screws for the door steps.

The other problem I have is with the air scoop. The spare I gave them to chrome was a perfect fit on the car. Since it was chromed, it warped downward slightly on the left side, and outward about an inch. Now it will not mount right. It is hard to get a screw into the center section and impossible to get the screw into the hole on the left side. I dont know what they are going to do about that yet. I did not want to give them my original scoop because I wanted to save it in case I ever get a '60 Bird. Then I could just pull the chromed one and put the cream one back on the car.

Anyone have any ideas of what one can do to an air scoop to make it align properly with the screw holes? I did not want to try and bend it because I was afraid I would pop the new chrome. I have talked with one parts supplier already about buying another spare, but theirs are also warped slightly. I was told I was lucky the two I have fit because they were always a problem for Ford because of them being made out of pot metal.

The one thing I do have you can have if you want them, are the two coat hangers on the rear trim. They have some pitting, and I bought new ones. I also have the original mirror, but it is not in the best of condition either. That and for improved rear view vision is why I am putting on the '60's wider day/night mirror. I can take some pictures of them and post them on PhotoBucket for you to look at. If anyone wants them they can have them for postage.

Ray
        Last edited by YellowRose; March 28, 2008, 11:06 AM. Reason: Fix grammical error.

Contact me via Private Message for my email address, or Call (Cell) 210-875-1411

Comment

• RustyNCa
          Super-Experienced
          • May 31 2007

I didn't realize the 60 mirror was bigger.

That stinks about the window piece, I was going to have mine rechromed also, to bad it wasn't stainless.

I have an extra air scoop, looks to be straight, but I haven't tried it on a car. I bought it for the center piece my 59 is missing it.

If the mirror is in better shape than mine it may interst me. I went way dark on my tint and have since concluded that my rear view mirror is useless at night and almost during the day.

Comment

• YellowRose
            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Got My Chrome Back!

Hi Rusty,

Yes, the '60's day/night mirror is wider and gives you a better view of the rear. It is my understanding that it is an acceptable item on a '58'-'59 because it is a safety improvement. Later today, I will put some pix of mine on PhotoBucket for you to look at. If it interests you, you can have it.

I dont know what caused that trim piece to bow so much on both ends. I am told that there is not a heating process involved in chroming metal. But something or someone sure put a bow in it that will not come out. It bows so badly that it will not go into position when you try to put the sun visor pieces over it. Had I known that could happen, I would not have had it chromed. It was not in that bad a shape.

As for the extra air scoop, if you do not need it, I would be interested in it. If you have the opportunity to do so, would it be possible to see if it will fit on your hood? That would be a help. I dont know if they are going to be able to fix mine or not. Probably not.

I see what you mean about going to dark on your tint! Wow! Also, I see you have a different rear end taillight section than my '59 does! Maybe that is a '60 section? Maybe not, because I thought '60's had square sections in them. I just looked at the rear end of a '60 Bird. It looks like yours!

You didnt mention the coat hooks so maybe you dont need them. Gotta run!

Ray

Comment

• RustyNCa
              Super-Experienced
              • May 31 2007

That is actually a shot of my 58's rear end. Yeah, I might want those clips on the 59, I need to look and see if I have them. Give me a few weeks and I can test fit that part no problem. After the 15th of April I will be taking about a week off from work. It is an official holiday at my firm.

My window piece is shot, the interesting thing all the interior trim is fine, but the sun visor brakets, the mirror and that piece are full of pits, and the chrome is pealing off, even though it is all orginal, all the rest looks brand new go figure.

Here is a shot of the my 59's rear end...

Ah, and how about a shot of my 68's rear....

And the best for last the 71's rear ....

Opps, I forgot the 65

Last edited by RustyNCa; March 28, 2008, 02:38 PM. Reason: Forgot the 65....

Comment

• YellowRose
                Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Got My Chrome Back!

Hi Rusty!

The rear end of your '59 and your '71 needs some work, I see. The '71 has great potential, I am sure, but needs some more sun and some Nair! lol... Nice looking rear ends! Thanks for sharing pictures of your cars!

I have posted some pictures of my '59 rear view mirror and coat hangers on PhotoBucket. They in the the chrome set section. Here is the URL again.

You can look at them and see if you want them. They are yours for postage. I also put some pictures of the '60 mirror for you to see. It is wider than the '58-'59 mirror. Better to see out of, and it is Day/Night.

I spent a good part of my afternoon looking for material to cover my nice shiny chromed door step plates. I tried Home Depot and Lowes. A young man at Lowes suggested that I try Autozone or one of the other auto parts places. He said they should carry what I am looking for.

So off I went to Napa, and Advanced Auto Parts. At Advanced, I found Clear Bodyguard by Trim Brite! Just what I was looking for. It is Clear, Transparent, 5 7/8" x 12 ft. SKU #T9020. It cost less than $7. So off I went to home to try it out.

It is a little wider than what I was looking for, but I used the excess on the top and bottom to seal it further. It took me awhile to put it on carefully, but it worked great! It is fairly thick, so it should do a good job of protecting the chrome. In a couple of hours or so, I had my step plates covered and installed. It was dark when I finished so I did not take any pictures. I will take some tomorrow and post them on PhotoBucket.

If anyone else is thinking of chroming their step plates, and protecting them, I think Clear BodyGuard is the way to go. They really look nice!

Ray

Comment

• YellowRose
                  Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Got My Chrome Back!

If you go to PhotoBucket, you can view my '59 original before pictures of my beat up aluminum step plates. Then you can see what they look like if you have them chromed and protected with clear BodyGuard, as stated below. A BIG difference! I love them, though they will probably cost me points if I ever show this Bird during judging! They really add to the beauty of the car, I think... Here is that link again...

Ray

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                    Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ray the new door sills look great and the new screws show good. Are they fron that kit that you and I bought off EBay??

Dano Calgary,Alberta Canada
                    Thunderbird Registry
                    58HT #33317
                    60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
                      Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Got My Chrome Back!

Hi Dan!

Thank you! I think they came out looking very good also, considering their age and wear and tear on them. No, the screws were the original screws that I sent with the two plates when I had them chromed. I still have the screws in that set we bought to use on something else. They chromed 37 screws for me, including the 20 from the step plates.

Ray

Comment

• Dan Leavens
                        Moderator / Administrator

• Oct 4 2006

Ray that's great that you were able to rechrome the original screws for the doorsills. When I purchased my new doorsills, the screws from the kit fit perfect and seated properly. I just had my passenger glass ( sunex) swapped out with a new one and once again those screws in the kit came in handy. I would recommend anyone purchase these from Ebay, to keep in their repair kit parts section, as they are all marked for the proper use.

Thunderbird Registry
                        58HT #33317
                        60 HT (Sold )

Comment

• YellowRose
                          Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Got My Chrome Back!

I just spent much of the afternoon installing my chromed interior sails. I also put on new rubber bumper guards. One of mine had a hole in it and they were both dried out. To see the results of my efforts you can to go PhotoBucket and look at the pictures.

Ray
                          '59 "Yellow Rose" VTCI #11178

Comment

• YellowRose
                            Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Got my Chrome Back!

I have two original '59 coat hooks including the original screws that are still available. They can be had for postage. PM me and let me know if you want them. There are pictures of them on PhotoBucket. They are in fairly good shape. There is pitting, of course, after some 50 years of use. However, they are still in pretty good shape. You could probably get them re-chromed and they would look pretty good. I decided just to buy new ones. To see the pictures, go to the PhotoBucket link below this and click on it.

Ray
                            '59 "Yellow Rose" VTCI #11178

Comment

• YellowRose
                              Super-Experienced

• Jan 21 2008

Got My Chrome Back!

I was supposed to get the rest of my chrome back today, but that did not happen. The company who did my chroming still had the right rear extension bar. It came back on Monday. They were re-doing the overhead windshield interior strip, trying to fix it because when they processed it the first time, it bowed 2-3 inches on each end and I could not get it to go in place. They also are doing another air scoop for me because they rubbed on the other one to hard, to long and got it to hot. It warped the left side of it (looking at it from the front) to the point where it would not go back on the car.

These pieces were supposed to be back from Dallas today, where they are being processed. But it looks like it will be tomorrow instead. The owner drove there today and will be back in the morning with them. As long as I get them, and they are done right, I can still get them on my Bird in time for Friday evenings Show & Tell event in Castroville.

There is a reason why I am telling you all this, especially those of you are new, like me. I have been told, and I have learned that processing pot metal (which much of our exterior and interior parts are made of) is a difficult thing for chroming companies to do and get them right. It is thin and bends easy, plus it is difficult to get the pits out of the metal. A mistake made when processing these pot metal or chrome pieces that are being re-chromed, is that they are often polished to hard, to long and made to get to hot in the polishing process. Suddenly, a properly fitting air scoop or interior trim piece, or some other piece might no longer fit the way it used to before you had it chromed.

Hopefully, they have been able to fix the problems they had with mine. As we all know, chroming is expensive, and it going to get even more expensive if what happened at the Dallas plant continues to happen to it and other plants across the country.

Apparently, this last weekend, the chroming facility was broken into and all their copper stock was stolen. That is all that was taken. This is happening all across the country now that the cost of copper has gone sky high due to the heavy demand for it. I have friends in the tower business, and others in other businesses who use a lot of copper. Entire large rolls of communications cable for high powered antenna systems have been stolen for their copper content, not only here, but across the country. People are stripping houses under construction for the copper in the homes. Occasionally, you hear about it on the news.

This is the third time their chroming facility has been broken into and only the copper stolen. The next time might prove to be a bit more deadly for the thieves because they have put a couple of guard dogs to work, and have improved their security. This whole thing delayed their processing of not only my stuff but for everyone else who had parts there for processing. I am just glad they did not steal the parts!

So there you have what this chrome facility (and from what I was told, others also) have been facing recently. It seems China and India and other growing countries have huge demands for copper, just as they do for gas and oil...

If I get my pieces back, I will take some more pictures and show what "Yellow Rose" looks like all duded up!

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎