X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • danowens3
    Experienced
    • Dec 29 2005

To replace or rebuild - cruise o matic

Took the 1960 hardtop with the 352 in it to the tranny shop last week to have some help with a leak in the shift linkage. The tranny shop called today with the great news that he found pieces of my clutch plates in my tranny pan. He is saying that my transmission should be re-built for approx $1300. I asked if I could get a new transmission and he laughed. Any suggestions on if this is a reasonable price or of vendors that sell re-built transmissions? Thanks, Dan

If your not concerned about keeping it original install a c-6.You can usally find a rebuilt one for under $600.
    strong tranny's.
    The cruise-o -matic is considered by some to be a weak link.

Comment

c-6

So are you saying that a c-6 bolts right up without any re-working at all ?

Comment

I believe it will.
        ask your guy @ the tranny shop.

Comment

• danowens3
          Experienced
          • Dec 29 2005

I would really like to put a cruise o matic back in the car. It is mostly original and in great shape. I searched the website as I thought a post a year or so ago was out there about a place that sold re-built transmissions but I can not find it now. Also tried searching on the internet and had little to no luck. Still hoping to keep her "originalish."

Comment

would like to read some

from others that have made the conversion.
            I understand how you feel about originality, mine looks all original, but have disc brakes, now headers.
            I will say though, that now having sunk thousands in engine rebuild, IF I had it to do all over again, I would convert to a 350. Don't guess it will ever be right, no matter how much I put into it.

Comment

Check out this forum.

or this guy
              Broaderperformance.com
              Last edited by Guest; September 18, 2007, 09:13 PM.

Comment

Wow !

My head is spinning from all of that...might be better to rebuild

Comment

• peeeot
                  Experienced
                  • Oct 23 2005

I rebuilt the cruise-o-matic in my '59. I was pretty scared of it at first but it really wasnt so bad to do at all. I could't tell you whether it's perfect now because I don't know what perfect is for these transmissions but I do know that it moves the car along and shifts nicely
                  All the instructions you need are in the factory shop manual, and the parts are available through Fatsco. I can't remember off the top of my head how much it cost but I know it was by far the cheapest way to get my transmission ship-shape. Good luck!

Comment

• Alexander
                    Webmaster
                    • Oct 30 2002

The cruise-o-matic is a reliable transmission. You just must remember to bring the car to a full stop before shifting directions. If you don't, you will crack the the case.

Rebuilding the transmission has less headaches involved than putting in a later transmission, as modifications and adjustments must be done. Resale value is usually lowered by making modifications on a car.
                    Alexander
                    1959 Hard Top
                    1960 Golde Top
                    sigpic

Comment

• byersmtrco
                      Super-Experienced
                      • Sep 28 2004

Alexander is correct. Closer to stock is best for R/S value. If your car is a keeper then consider it. The Cruiso works fine (if properly maintained and cared for - No excessive abuse)
                      Mine will chirp the tire shifting into 2nd. I always leave it in D1 (once I've found it)
                      If/when I juice the engine up a little, I'll make the C6 swap (When it needs a tranny) The C6 is a bulletproof transmission.

I will eventually go to an Edelbrock Int/Manif and headers. I will keep the car "close" to stock looking. With a few mods and the swaybars and disc brakes I have, it'll make on heckuva sleeper.

I'm also considering a wheel swap. I've even thought about baby-moon's w/white letter T/A Radials for a 50's/60's Rod look. We'll see.

Comment

• seven up

Hi All,

Has anyone used the cruiseo rebuild kit from Autotran US. They are on my list of suppliers but have no experience with them.

Enjoy

Comment

• 6TB1RD
                          Experienced
                          • Apr 9 2006

I have a C6 in mine

The c6 in my 60 was a direct bolt in conversion but will require the replacement of the starter and flywheel. the rear tranny mount for the c6 is the same as the cruiso.
                          George (Papa of 9)
                          1960 H/T :rolleyes:
                          Home Page http://squarebirds.org/users/6tb1rd/
                          http://www.tbirdregistry.com/viewdat...ryNumber=31811
                          sigpic

Comment

• TOM
                            • Aug 28 2007

Mine Was Already Rebuilt When I Bought The Car.it Shifts Good But I Have A Klunk When I Put In Gear Or When It Down Shifts When I Slow Down. Is This Normal? Also I Have D1 & D2 On The Shifter, Nothing Happens In D2 Only D1 , Is This Normal Or Is Something Amiss! Thanks For All The Great Info.
                            Tom

Comment

• Alexander
                              Webmaster
                              • Oct 30 2002

The clunk when downshifting is normal. These transmissions do not have a vacuum modulator.

D1 starts the car in first gear. D2 starts the car in second gear. D1 is the normal drive.
                              Alexander
                              1959 Hard Top
                              1960 Golde Top
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              🥰
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😡
                              👍