Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnG
    John
    • Jul 28 2003

I had been thinking of doing exactly that. I am in New England. Very little very hot weather and a 13# cap. Each year a fair amount of coolant seeps out of the system (I don't see it but assume it vaporizes). I have an expansion jar so I could catch whatever an 8# cap allowed by. The flip side is: would I be running substantially hotter or just a small amount?
    1958 Hardtop
    #8452 TBird Registry
    http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
    history:
    http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• saverio
      Experienced
      • Mar 14 2005

same expansion tank problem

I had the same problem of loosing coolant when i stopped. I also developed a leak in my X-tank. I soldered it twice and then gave up.

I installed a new tank which I bought at ThunderBird Headquarters and i also installed an over flow system. The car runs cool, most of the time out here in Northern california. The temps do get to 110 sometimes.

hope this helps.

sal
      Sal III

60 T BD

Thunderbird Registry # 33126 - VTCI # 11138- CTCI #02521

Comment

Surge tank install

Well, I broke down and got a new tank. I installed it this morning. I have a recored radiator and new hoses. I am using a 160 thermostat and a 13 pound cap. I hope with all thei I don't have a over heating problem this summer.

Comment

• scumdog
          Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

Originally posted by JohnG
          I had been thinking of doing exactly that. I am in New England. Very little very hot weather and a 13# cap. Each year a fair amount of coolant seeps out of the system (I don't see it but assume it vaporizes). I have an expansion jar so I could catch whatever an 8# cap allowed by. The flip side is: would I be running substantially hotter or just a small amount?
          You wouldn't be running one jot hotter at all, - pressure or lack of it has NO effect on what temperature is produced by a motor.

ALL the higher pressure cap does is let the coolant get hotter before it actually boils, there is a ratio of X degrees increase of boiling temperature for Y lb increase in pressure. (don't know the exact figures)

So if your car never gets to boiling temperature (212 degrees F) you could get by (in theory) with NO pressure at all.

I did this with my '55 F100 with 429, the top-tank seam was split so I put on a cap with zero pressure to stop coolant being forced out, the cap was there only to stop coolant spalshing out.

Never had it boil except a couple of times when manoeuvering backwards and forwards in a tight space.

Oh, and I don't run a fan of any sort in the F100.
          A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• tarps3
            Super-Experienced
            • Jul 21 2003

Originally posted by birdbrain
            Well, I broke down and got a new tank. I installed it this morning. I have a recored radiator and new hoses. I am using a 160 thermostat and a 13 pound cap. I hope with all thei I don't have a over heating problem this summer.
            Not to scare you, but keep an eye on your new tank.
            I bought 2 new tanks and both leaked after a couple of months. The metal was good but they leaked along the seams.

I ended up taking the last new one to a radiator shop.

They took it apart and told me the soldering was cut-rate and they were surprised it held pressure at all. They showed it to me and there was hardly enough material to cover the seam - very thin and inconsistent.

Then they re-assembled it running solder on the inside of the seam (don't ask me how) as well as the outside of the seam.
            Re-soldered the neck and outlet too.

That solved the problem but I went thru 2 or 3 used tanks and 2 new tanks before I spent the extra $50 to get the thing soldered up properly.

I shoulda done that in the first place - live and learn.

You may be one of the lucky ones - not all new ones leak - but keep an eye on it nonetheless.
            Casey

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎