Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • scumdog
    Super-Experienced

• May 12 2006

100E Ford Prefects of the late 50's etc use to have a tank specifically for that purpose - kept the wipers going when you were going up a long hill.

Of course my '66 doesn't have that problem as it's wipers are hydraulic, work off the power-steering pump.

But it means you can't give the wipers a quick sweep to clear the screen when you're parked - unless you start the motor!
    A Thunderbirder from the Land of the Long White Cloud.

Comment

• ncbird
      Experienced
      • Jan 5 2008

tarp,

Tarp, I think a 57 chev electric wiper motor may fit your olds and uses the original cable from the wiper switch. 57 chevs came with both I think. Both chevs and some gmc trucks had them and with a minor bracket mod I think fit. just an old memory. Grant
      Grant
      NCbird on the Coast of NC
      "Dads Bird" for my father

Comment

• Petrolhead
        Experienced
        • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by YellowRose
        Petrolhead! You just made me rich!
        YellowRose, I'm sure there would be enough "suckers" out there who would love to invest in your scheme and who don't mind getting taken to the 'cleaners'

Comment

• JohnG
          John
          • Jul 28 2003

so....you guys still have me interested in my original "low tech" solution - the tank with check valves. Completely passive but maybe effective (OK... cheap too).

Storing vacuum is simply maintaining a pressure difference. The air would like to go into the tank but can't due to the valve so it remains lower inside the tank than outside - a "vacuum". If we maintained it higher inside the tank then we would say we were maintaining "pressure" - like your tire or lubrication system.

So somebody tell me where I can get some small check valves. The McMaster catalogue comes to mind.

Till then I have to admit my wiper system sucks... I just gotta get it to suck a bit more!!
          1958 Hardtop
          #8452 TBird Registry
          http://tbird.info/registry/DataSheet...r~equals~8452)

photo: http://www.squarebirds.org/users/joh...d_June2009.jpg
          history:
          http://www.squarebirds.org/users/johng/OCC.htm

Comment

• Petrolhead
            Experienced
            • Jul 2 2007

Originally posted by JohnG
            So somebody tell me where I can get some small check valves.
            Most lines for vacuum brake boosters have a small check valve in them, they're called 'non return valves'. I got one for my hot rod's brake booster out of a wrecked subaru, $1 at a wrecking yard.

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎