No announcement yet.

Tail Light Restoration 1960 - Part I

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Waffle plates

The best way to repaint the black section of the waffle plates is with a scripto paint marker. It works like a marker pen, but has real paint. Shapen the applicator tip a little with a razor blade to make it smaller and then just fill in the squares. It takes me about an hour to do each plate. If you color outside the lines, just wipe off the excess as you go.

Comment

• bcomo
      Super-Experienced
      • Sep 23 2005

I was trying to find that oil based marker at a local store to try it out, but couldn't find it. I think it is a "Sharpie" brand.

Where did you get yours?
      Bart
      1960 Hard Top/430
      Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

• tarps3
        Super-Experienced
        • Jul 21 2003

Originally posted by bcomo
        Well, here are the results of the original tail light cone, and painting the inside of the tail light cone Chrome versus painting it White. Both for brightness and temperature inside the cone -- which is what the lens will endure.

This was VERY interesting !!!

Original on left versus White painted cone on right: Both have new bulbs.

Brake Lights -- As we already knew, the original is not as bright as the White painted cone.

Laser Thermometer reading-- keeping the brake lights on for 1 1/2 minutes (about what we might do at a long stop light). Measured midway to the center of the inside of the cone.

Original = 104 degrees
        White painted = 110 degrees

Chrome painted on left versus White painted cone on right:
        Both have new bulbs.

Brake Lights -- The Chrome painted is brighter than the White painted cone.

Laser Thermometer reading-- again, keeping the brake lights on for 1 1/2 minutes. Measured midway to the center of the inside of the cone.

Chrome painted = 204 degrees
        White painted = 110 degrees

The additional brightness from the chrome painted cone almost doubles the heat generated inside the cone behind the tail light lens. Probably because the chrome paint has metalic particles, and relects more heat than the white paint does.

Remember -- these tests were done using the 1157 stock 32 candle power brake light bulb. Using a 2357 which generates 40 Candle Power would increase the temperature reading even more (maybe by 25% on either white or chrome).

It appears that the white painted cone would be our best choice for minimizing the heat behind the lens.

I'm thinking that the chrome works best in modern cars with LED lenses if they generate lower heat.
        I had a 1964 Galaxie and the tail light bucket was bright shiny aluminum. It never seemed to get too hot and it had the same bulb (1157). Maybe it's because the bucket was so much larger than the TBird one.
        And aluminum dissipates heat better than steel.
        Casey

Comment

What I did was tape up the chrome edge,cleaned up the waffleboard with paint thinner and painted the whole thing with black enamel and let it sit over night.The next day I used my small orbital sander to remove paint from the ridges,very easy job and looks good.
          A word of warning tho.be careful with the small screws that hold the lenses to the chrome rings,I think I ended up having to chisel off 3 or 4 of them because I stripped the phillips heads out.

Comment

• bcomo
            Super-Experienced
            • Sep 23 2005

I found the Sharpie Paint Pen at Hobby Lobby craft store.

I'm going to try that, and George's paint idea on a small test piece I also have the vinyl squares coming in the mail.

What can i say -- my car is laid up in the paint shop for another 2 months, so I have nothing else to work on untill it comes back and breaks something.
            Bart
            1960 Hard Top/430
            Thunderbird Registry Number 1231

Comment

Working...
            😀
            🥰
            🤢
            😎
            😡
            👍
            👎